Beginner... new purchase. Advice?

tleeannh

Seed
Reaction score
Just purchased this from a big box store. Any advice on how to care for it? Does it look healthy?20240306_175404.jpg20240306_175413.jpg20240306_175335.jpg20240306_175330.jpg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This is a Fukian tea tree.
It does look pretty healthy, so you got that going on. However, Fukian is rather finicky. I find that all the key components in bonsai care need to be Spot on.

Always moist. Never dry out dry, and never swampy. With lots of light and fair humidity they do great.

I sometimes wonder why these trees are so available in most box stores.
I get the ficus saturation, but selling these Fukian tea tree bonsais to the masses….

Sure, it’s an “indoor” plant but I wonder what the average longevity is after purchase. 🤣

Anyways, good luck, and keep it outside when possible.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Fukien tea. I bought one a few years ago from Costco(?) just to see if I could kill it :) They are true tropicals, so as long as you put them outside during the summer and give them lots of heat and humidity, they should do well. They do not do well if you keep them indoors 24/7/365 because it is rarely humid or warm enough for them. However after four years I haven't been able to kill my Fukien tea, so I can say without a doubt that they can handle being over-wintered indoors without a problem.

Yes, your tree looks healthy. The little spots on the leaves are normal. The leaves should have a dark glossy green color and be somewhat thick. If they are unhappy they will drop leaves - and the more leaves you have the happier they are!

fukien2.jpg

tleeannh

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Your tree is beautiful!
I will probably kill it, but it's worth a shot 😆

tleeannh

Seed
Reaction score
This is a Fukian tea tree.
It does look pretty healthy, so you got that going on. However, Fukian is rather finicky. I find that all the key components in bonsai care need to be Spot on.

Always moist. Never dry out dry, and never swampy. With lots of light and fair humidity they do great.

I sometimes wonder why these trees are so available in most box stores.
I get the ficus saturation, but selling these Fukian tea tree bonsais to the masses….

Sure, it’s an “indoor” plant but I wonder what the average longevity is after purchase. 🤣

Anyways, good luck, and keep it outside when possible.

tleeannh

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Under my care, not much hope for it's longevity lol.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m afraid to repot it.
Yes... be very afraid :) They have thin roots and it is very easy to kill them via over or under-watering, or by being too aggressive when you repot. Most of these big box nursery plants come in to the US in very bad (organic) soil. I was VERY careful when I moved my tree into bonsai soil... and it is very healthy (for now). I think I may decide to move it into something a little larger this summer... like other tropicals they seem to do best if you repot right before the heat of the summer.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yes... be very afraid :) They have thin roots and it is very easy to kill them via over or under-watering, or by being too aggressive when you repot. Most of these big box nursery plants come in to the US in very bad (organic) soil. I was VERY careful when I moved my tree into bonsai soil... and it is very healthy (for now). I think I may decide to move it into something a little larger this summer... like other tropicals they seem to do best if you repot right before the heat of the summer.
Thank you for this.

Top Bottom