Beginner NJ Native Bonsai

Reaction score
Hello ! Very glad to have found this community, I have been doing a lot of research in my spare time, and I am right on the verge of buying my first tree. I just have a simple question:

Are there any native NJ trees or bushes that are friendly for beginners? I have a few on my radar, but there is very little info available, and there is conflicting information. For example, I saw talks of black huckleberry and that it was hardy and back budded well, but other people were saying basically the opposite. I've also seen people bringing up dogwood trees and bushes. If there really are no native NJ plants that would fit a beginner, I am willing to give up on that dream, but I would definitely prefer keeping a native plant. It's just kind of a philosophical thing, even if it is a little silly ;P

Also if there is any common etiquette to this forum that I have violated, please inform me! Thank you everyone.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cornus florida is tricky. I haven't tried Gaylussacia baccata, but I haven't seen many around as bonsai, so I'm inclined to suggest you wait until you've seen some success with more common material.

Pinus rigida is among the best species available for bonsai, and it's also an iconic species in New Jersey. As a double-flush pine, it can be treated like a Japanese black pine. I'm partial to Fagus grandifolia, but I wouldn't call beech an easy genus of tree to work with. It's straightforward in its care requirements but not forgiving of error. It's also tricky to reduce the leaves, so it lends itself best to larger bonsai. Acer rubrum is likewise a coarse-growing tree that works best for larger bonsai, but it's very easy to keep it alive and healthy, and the leaves can reduce somewhat with diligence. Another good species of pine would be P. virginiana. Other great deciduous species include certain Amelanchier spp., Euonymus spp., and Ulmus spp. Of course, let's not forget Carpinus caroliniana. It's among the best deciduous species for bonsai in the Western Hemisphere, and it is relatively easy to care for.

Morus alba is invasive, but it's great for bonsai, and you're doing everyone a service by removing it from the wild and putting it in a container. The same goes for many other invasive species. They're invasive because they're pretty (so they were introduced) and hard to kill (so they took over).

Steer clear of Juniperus virginiana. It's easy enough to keep alive, but it responds poorly to bonsai techniques.

I'm personally partial to Quercus macrocarpa, Quercus alba, and Fagus grandifolia, but I would hesitate to recommend them as beginner species. Practice on some elms and maples, and then graduate to oak and beech.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As far as I can tell (sans experience) your best native deciduous is American hornbeam (american elm is close second) But Pitch pine is the official mascot of NJ so, you gotta..

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am from NJ myself. I feel Acer Rubrum is a great species. It is incredibly tough to kill, tolerates abuse, grows quickly, can be pruned at least once a year and sometimes twice, is almost unlimited in supply, propagates easily, tolerates wet and dry conditions, and has great fall color. It can be kept small or large.

20240412_081124.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone, I will definitely take all your advice into my consideration !!

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All manner of Japanese maple, trident maple, Chinese elm, other elms, hornbeams, dawn redwood, bald cypress, crepe myrtle - to name a few.

Top Bottom