Viable tree to purchase for a beginner?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Wilsons Pink died maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Grafted it still had lots of potential for my desires.
It's like the parent that never touched a Childs room who'd gone missing years ago. Notice the nearly
20 Aspens 2nd growing season underway between the Aspen graveyard. My wife wanted to do some
crafts with them...I see campfire wood. Talk about resourceful forestry...1=thousands of clones. Curse you Red Baron! :mad:

DSC_1946.JPG

It had nice steep vertical fork(s) much like the Wilsons Pink I just ordered. Ordering a few Rooter Cups. Hopefully enough Akadama on hand. Plenty of 8822 DE and bark.
DSC_1947.JPG

RIP Wilson, we're bringing you back baby. The nebari was underway too...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I received 3 different maples Friday 04/06/2018
This A.p. Wilsons Pink grafted
an A.p. Katsura grafted, and
a Mikawa Yatsubusa seedling grown.

They've all suffered some shipping stress (leafed out already).
The Yatsubusa on its own roots has suffered the most stress and I expect
it will lose most all of its leaves. The soil was dry. I reckon a chance these were frozen
at altitude in cargo bay of plane, and dehydrated. The leaves are crispy, and plants have been watered in well
with some superthrive. I expect they'll all come back just fine.

full

They came in these silly clear plastic pots with no drainage whatsoever.

full

It is impossible too look at the foliage of the Wilsons Pink
and not fall in love with it for bonsai or patio container growing.

full

full

Shipping stress showing.

Problem is I have to pot these up or plant them pronto.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Shipping stress

What is your plan with these trees? That will dictate your best path forward...
Good evening Bonsai Nut!
I could use some direction there for sure.

1st tree here is the Mikawa Yatsubusa, the 3rd pic is the Katsura.
Katsura held up with the least stress, but a lot of spots on the leaves.

1st let me ask, which is the preferred way to upload pics for viewing? The reef forum I was in (a V bulletin forum) pics uploaded to the gallery
are there forever. The ones that were attached, may or may not stick forever, and certainly shared pics from 3rd parties like photo bucket
eventually cease and desist. Also, attached file space was limited, and gallery space unlimited. This is why I've been using the gallery more than attached.

Ok, some cultivars do not do well, or are not so vigorous on their own roots.
I fear the Wilsons Pink is one of those cultivars.

So starting with this tree, I bought a few of those Rooter Pots from Kinsman Nursery.
I plan to air layer 2 plants off of the forks on this tree. The trees are all 3 under stress.
I need some direction there indeed, for timing of this layer attempt.

Secondly, home. In pot, so I can move to protection during the recovery period from both
wind and from residual frosts in the meantime. We had 1"+ of snow this morning. 23ºF. yesterday
and mid 80's come Friday. It is Spring but outlook is pretty good through Apr. 22 anyway, no worries.
I like the in ground idea to protect the feet/roots especially if we travel for 10 days...I'm torn.

I have 2 places I can keep these.
#1. Where my A.p. is already growing well in ground. East side of house.
Receives direct Sun from guessing 10:30-11 am - 2:00 pm. Room for 2 trees.

#2. between a weeping laceleaf and my porch, receives longer direct Sun from 9am-4pm room for one tree.

The Yatsubusa on its own roots, well it needs to grow out the trunk some, but I plan to go bonsai with it
with no layering. Perhaps the Katsura will go in a wooden grow box for now. I am not so against grafted cultivars
as long as the graft keeps with the under stock pretty close. I drive a Toyota. I leave the Star car for my wife :)
So yeh, I'd like to do bonsai with all three and plan to also get an A.s. Autumn Moon next year on its own roots.
The one I have growing in the yard 4-5 yrs is grafted and doesn't have much to offer for layering. Very nice cultivar.

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What is your plan with these trees? That will dictate your best path forward...
Ok I admit my reply was a bit overwhelming, or involved. If I wanted to get them in a bigger pot or in the ground
what would you recommend? Already leafed out, repotted into silly clear solid bags ): and stressed, still they must be repotted again.
Recommendations welcome particularly soil demands/requirements. I'm geared to conifers, and that's why I lost my last 2 cultivars.

Top Bottom