Beginner book recommendation

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello together,
I have seen some discussions about books, unfortunately I haven't found a thread that makes recommendations for beginners or what I have found is from 2013. most of the links in the thread don't work anymore. All the bonsai books I have been given by friends are rather small booklets. I have now read quite a bit about the book Bonsai Techniques 1&2 by naka. Also I have seen in the latest video of Peter Chan an there they talked about the Bonsai masterclass. I guess there is a new edition here. Do you already have experiences in comparison to the original or is his books worthwhile at all? The only expert literature I currently have is the book by Werner Busch. Above all, I am interested in some design aspects. Do you have any other recommendations for a rookie?
Ciao ✋ Jonas

Reactions: Tbo

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Principles of Bonsai Design" , David De Groot
"Der Bonsai Ketzer" , Michael Hagedorn
Bonsai Technik 1&2 are fine too

I dont own Peter-chan's books
I dare say his fame is circumstancial rather than being due to exceptional skill at bonsai

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
recommendations for beginners
Dupuich - little book of bonsai
Hagedorn - bonsai heresy
Degroot - principles of bonsai design
Valavanis’ international bonsai magazine collection

this forum can good reading too, and pretty much any topic imaginable has been discussed:

etc.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello together,
I have seen some discussions about books, unfortunately I haven't found a thread that makes recommendations for beginners or what I have found is from 2013. most of the links in the thread don't work anymore. All the bonsai books I have been given by friends are rather small booklets. I have now read quite a bit about the book Bonsai Techniques 1&2 by naka. Also I have seen in the latest video of Peter Chan an there they talked about the Bonsai masterclass. I guess there is a new edition here. Do you already have experiences in comparison to the original or is his books worthwhile at all? The only expert literature I currently have is the book by Werner Busch. Above all, I am interested in some design aspects. Do you have any other recommendations for a rookie?
Ciao ✋ Jonas
The late Jim Lewis...talked me out of Naka books. Told me to go with Koreshoff. Hers was written to be read. Verses compiled noted as Naka's are.

That said...the most mouth watering design book...for inspiration are in my honest opinion are the ones I have by Robert Steven. Though I've both "Vison of My Soul" and "Mission of Transformation" The first with the gold leaf is beautifully done. But my favorite steak to chew inside. Is the second book of his...Mission of Transformation. His work is absolutely inspiring...and makes you look at your own material for possibilities you may have overlooked.

That's...my opinion, as a book nerd. Take it with a grain of salt.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The book that started me out on the bonsai path is….Growing & Displaying Bonsai. Colin Lewis & Neil Sutherland. I still reference the book today. It’s not an everything book, however, the example steps are thorough, the example trees were reachable and the explanations clear. The second book I attached really helped me with root pruning. This particular issue has many pages dedicated to drastic pruning.

The books I choose are less about providing inspiration and more about practical applications. Although, the applications themselves do inspire me to achieve better and different results than what might be originally thought of for a tree in development. The Internet seems to be more of my “book” now as I can easily wander down different paths to get clarity and inspiration.
IMG_7004.jpeg
IMG_7003.jpeg
IMG_7005.jpegIMG_7007.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will say...one must understand the reader to actually offer sound guidance for a book. There are beginner books

For one less into reading but wants solid facts and understanding. I would recommend Jonas's book.
Screenshot_20230729_091308_Gallery.jpg

Those who want deep reading...and understanding. I've a library of books. This was beyond well written where I didn't close the cover with confusion. Something in books...you just assume you understand. This book you put down and know what you needed to grasp. No doubt. It's a thick steak... the book that was referred to me...and I was told to pass on Naka.
Screenshot_20230729_091300_Gallery.jpg

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I got a lot of inspiration. Many of the books are hard to get here in Germany or to a horrible price. I set a notification on common platforms to buy used stuf. Specially Jim Lewis and Robert Steven I have never heard about. But what you’re saying @Cadillactaste his books could be interesting. Thanks for the advice.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks to all. I got a lot of inspiration. Many of the books are hard to get here in Germany or to a horrible price. I set a notification on common platforms to buy used stuf. Specially Jim Lewis and Robert Steven I have never heard about. But what you’re saying @Cadillactaste his books could be interesting. Thanks for the advice.
No, Jim Lewis is who told me not to buy Naka books. Koreshoff is who he felt would be good for me. A person who enjoys reading likened to a thick steak.

But...Robert Steven...his books are amazing. He makes me look at material differently.

mathias

Seedling
Reaction score
Any recommendations for books about maple trees?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have the Colin Lewis books, from when he lived in UK and when he lived in USA. I think Colin Lewis is one of the better authors at laying out a book that is clear and understandable. I think highly of his books.

I have both John Naka books, Bonsai Techniques I and II, it is painfully obvious they were written in the 1960's as modern bonsai techniques, tastes, and display particularly in the USA have evolved significantly. The books are not particularly well laid out. Soils information is very out of date. But there is a unique 3 page chapter on bamboo that I have not seen reproduced in other bonsai books. The bamboo techniques that Naka outlines do indeed work and are really special and worth passing on to future generations of bonsai practitioners.. Though not many people are working with true bamboo.

Note: when reading an author, it is important to keep in mind where geographically they were practicing bonsai. The local climate the author experiences "colors" their comments on how to winter bonsai and how to get a tree through summer. An author from UK might suggest full sun for trees that a Texas USA author would recommend part or full shade. Simple reason, UK has a mild climate, Texas USA has a brutally hot summer, desert dry in the west and humid and moist in the southeast, but all of Texas is HOT in summer. My only fault with Colin Lewis's book that he wrote while in UK was that his idea of winter protection was fairly mild. After he moved to USA, I think Massachusetts or maybe Maine, his winter advice has changed radically, and for the better. The books he wrote while in USA are much better than his first books.

So when reading a book, take the time to look up where the author was growing trees, and consider the author's climate. That will help one to understand if the author's recommendations relate to YOUR OWN CLIMATE or MICRO-CLIMATE.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was recently given Introduction to Bonsai (<-- click that) and it is excellent. Before this, I can't tell you the last bonsai book I bought that wasn't a show album. Well, that's not true. Bonsai Heresy by Hagedorn, but it's much less instructional. You'll appreciate the illustrations, as they're often clearer (to the point) than a photo. The illustrator has a complete series on mini-bonsai and his illustrations were featured in International Bonsai regularly as well. The bulk of the book is made up of species guides.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Coupled with the books mentioned above…. (Really liked Debra Koreshoff and also Pieter Loubser Understanding Bonsai as a beginner). One can really collect a number over time!

There also are a number of online courses offered by Bonsai Empire that really appealed to me after grinding through pages of print. These give practical examples of an ever growing catalog of topics. Their courses are lifetime access one fee for each course so one can purchase as desired and watch over again (… at high speed if desired!). These include:

• Bonsai Beginners
  • Bonsai Fundamentals
  • Intermediate courses 1 & 2
  • Advanced Course 1 & 2
  • Developing Bonsai from seed
  • Developing Bonsai From Nursery stock
  • Developing Deciduous Bonsai
  • Developing Coniferous Bonsai
  • Shohin Bonsai
  • Kimura Advanced Masterclass
  • Kimura Aesthetics Masterclass

These courses use a multitude of professionals, starting with Bjornholm, Hagedorn later adding Harrington, Albee, Pall, Stemburger, Culek and Jonker.

Then there are the streaming services… Bonsai Mirai, Eisen-en and likely soon to come Bonsaify.

cheers
DSD sends

Ramron67

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Which of these beginner books would you say provides a good approach to styling of trees?
I am a beginner and I picked up several nursery stock specimens and I would like to start planning my Spring styling.
Thanks!

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Many of the books recommended above appealed to me in theory, but were either no longer available or at a really high price. So far I have "Bonsai Heresy", Naka's Bonsai Technique 1 & 2, and the new Bonsai Masterclass by Peter Chan. When it comes to basic knowledge and general theory, I found Peter Chan (also because of the extensive tables for the different species) and Bonsai Heresy. For inspiration and great drawings that invite you to dream of future projects, I really liked Naka. what kind of plants do you have that you want to try out?

mickf_12

Seed
Reaction score
Coupled with the books mentioned above…. (Really liked Debra Koreshoff and also Pieter Loubser Understanding Bonsai as a beginner). One can really collect a number over time!

There also are a number of online courses offered by Bonsai Empire that really appealed to me after grinding through pages of print. These give practical examples of an ever growing catalog of topics. Their courses are lifetime access one fee for each course so one can purchase as desired and watch over again (… at high speed if desired!). These include:

• Bonsai Beginners
  • Bonsai Fundamentals
  • Intermediate courses 1 & 2
  • Advanced Course 1 & 2
  • Developing Bonsai from seed
  • Developing Bonsai From Nursery stock
  • Developing Deciduous Bonsai
  • Developing Coniferous Bonsai
  • Shohin Bonsai
  • Kimura Advanced Masterclass
  • Kimura Aesthetics Masterclass

These courses use a multitude of professionals, starting with Bjornholm, Hagedorn later adding Harrington, Albee, Pall, Stemburger, Culek and Jonker.

Then there are the streaming services… Bonsai Mirai, Eisen-en and likely soon to come Bonsaify. Additionally, exploring streaming services like Bonsai Mirai, Eisen-en, and the upcoming Bonsaify adds a dynamic layer to my learning journey. This comprehensive approach, combined with efficient typing services for students enhances the educational experience.

cheers
DSD sends
Pairing favorite bonsai books like Debra Koreshoff and Pieter Loubser's "Understanding Bonsai as a beginner" with Bonsai Empire's online courses has enriched my learning. These courses, offering lifetime access, cover various topics with practical examples. Taught by professionals like Bjornholm, Hagedorn, Harrington, Albee, Pall, Stemburger, Culek, and Jonker, they provide a comprehensive and dynamic bonsai education.

Top Bottom