Beech ground layering?

Blksmth88

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Following to hopefully learn something lol. Seeing things like this makes me feel like I need to pay close attention haha

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My hopes is that it took and he got some roots and can separate it.
I think... it calloused over and didn't work.
Update!

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beech are dope. We need more of them in the US

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beech are dope. We need more of them in the US

After digging up twenty or so saplings last year, it turns out they’re really sensitive. I only managed to keep them alive in a mostly-shaded greenhouse with nearly 100% humidity, and even then I lost about a quarter of them. They seem to have survived the winter with twigs still supple, but I’m not gonna call any tree a success until this summer.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It does work. I have yet to lose one. My problem is from beech leaf disease. Don’t want to step on this thread. Reply to threads below please.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello everyone. I kept the tree watered all summer as much as I could, by the end I checked and saw very little root development so I just covered it deep with leaves and let it winter. I checked it today and unfortunately the tree has died. There was no callous formation or bridging and very little roots, the roots I did see seemed to have sprouted from below the cut area and nothing from the upper cut line. I guess it's back to the drawing board!

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shittttt man I’m bummed lol none look like that from what I’ve seen, was prayin for ya

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I never held my breath, but disappointing nonetheless.
Thanks for letting us watch the experiment.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would you of had to maybe carve your layer ring all the way around that main root it was coming out of? Like Uber the tree as well not just a ring around the base? Just wondering in case I come across one like that I’d be hard pressed to leave it

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would you of had to maybe carve your layer ring all the way around that main root it was coming out of? Like Uber the tree as well not just a ring around the base? Just wondering in case I come across one like that I’d be hard pressed to leave it
GADDAMNIT!!!!!
You're right!
Ever freaking last one of us missed it!
Turn the picture 90 degrees so it looks like a branch. Would that girdle EVER work on a branch? Of course not. it's kill it.

I feel a bit dumb now.

Top Bottom