White Beech Leaves

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any idea what's going on with this Fagus grandifolia? The lower branches have normal leaves, but this branch that extends from the callus at the chop site is devoid of color. If you look closely at the chop site, you can see that some new green buds have emerged there, and the color seems to be normal. It's strange that some of the leaves would be deep green, but others on the same plant look bleached.

IMG_1347.jpeg

It looks like the tissue below it has died and it's now just getting a part of the sap that it used to get. So it's likely that it's not getting iron and magnesium and thus turns chlorotic.

It looks like the tissue below it has died and it's now just getting a part of the sap that it used to get. So it's likely that it's not getting iron and magnesium and thus turns chlorotic.

Could it be the result of mechanical damage at the point of attachment?

I tried a ground layer two years ago on a grandifolia and had the same leaf color for the entire tree following the procedure. I agree with @Wires_Guy_wires , I would say that’s the issue. Mine had sad foliage all year long, perpetually wilted, but it leafed out last year and this spring, albeit with significant dieback.

The roots are getting sugars from the healthy leaves, so I'm hoping I won't see the same dieback issue.

Could it be the result of mechanical damage at the point of attachment?
Yes, but then I'd expect more wilting. Because then the sap flow would be blocked or inhibited in some way or form. This looks like sap is getting there, but it's as if it was filtered through a dead patch of wood.

You can try foliar feeding with micronutrients like Fe and Mg, maybe that brings back some power to that branch.

Yes, but then I'd expect more wilting. Because then the sap flow would be blocked or inhibited in some way or form. This looks like sap is getting there, but it's as if it was filtered through a dead patch of wood.

You can try foliar feeding with micronutrients like Fe and Mg, maybe that brings back some power to that branch.

Yeah. It's definitely getting enough water.

Back
Top Bottom