How would you handle this beech chop?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected this beech over a year ago, and now that it's leafing out, I can officially say it survived collection. For now, the plan is to let it grow out and use sticks and guy wires to set the direction of certain branches I'll likely keep in the final design.

In the meantime, however, I'm not really sure how I want to handle the wound where I chopped at collection. Last summer, the tree pushed buds from the cambium at the chop location. The tree self-selected one of those buds and aborted the rest. That bud grew about a foot and a half (a little under half a meter). The callus has already started to roll over all the way around the wound.

I'm concerned that as the wound heals, it will form an ugly shoulder. I am inclined to re-cut the wound at a 45° angle with a saw. Is that what you would do? If so, should I go ahead and do that this summer after the leaves harden off, or should I wait another year or two?

IMG_9757.jpeg

IMG_9929.jpeg

IMG_9932.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

Empty Mountain

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Your tree reminds me of this one, Jelle's got a few other videos on this tree these may help you out.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would be tempted to cut off the new leader you have, and hope it buds from the front of the trunk so you can hide the would more. But that is risky and will slow things down obviously.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I say wait another year at least. Think about what that cranking on the trunk will do to the roots while you're sawing it. I would be hesitant, a little over a year post collection, to do that on a somewhat temperamental species. There's always time to rework the chop when the tree is a little more established. Cool trunk though!

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First of all, that’s a great tree. You’re right on the line between good movement and too much, but I think it’s perfect, and I like how it has budded so far. Being single flush, I’d let it go this year, and next year I would cut it back hard and leave one or two buds on that first branch and three or four on the leader. That way you’re letting it recover, keeping the leader strong, but hopefully encouraging it to bud back. One more year shouldn’t be too bad in regards to the diameter of branches- I think anything it would push next spring, if left to grow and the current branches are cut, would be proportionate.

Even if it doesn’t bud back next year, I think you’re in decent shape to be honest. That leader can be worked and that primary isn’t so ridiculously far away as to look horrible, especially once it starts to develop. I’m going to follow this, I’m really interested in where it goes.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
American beech tends to send out epicormic shoots from time to time when it's healthy and the trunk is exposed to sunlight, so I'm optimistic I'll see more branching on the lower trunk. In the worst case scenario, they also self-graft easily. I see it all the time on wild trees where two branches cross.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beech are slow to heal and I'd agree with the wait a year team. Feed it well, but try to stick with organics if possible, as they aren't fan of salts buildup.

Top Bottom