Beautyberry

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The plants I saw in the nursery were clumps with skinny stems. Not sure you could get a single trunk out of the clump without damaging the plant.

You are supposed to be able to cut them down to 3-5" stems in early Spring and the entire plant will regrow. Or you can simply prune a few major trunks to shape while removing suckers.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Leaf size of early amethyst- mine are probably 1.5 to 2" long but I have been growing in larger containers for development with generous fert. Therefore I don't know how small they will get but don't think they will get real small. However they are much smaller than American species.

Bnut- you will be able to do something with a nursery plant just not sure you can get a single trunk, but you can layer I'm sure.

They are so beautiful that the faults can be overlooked. And easy to grow, full sun definitely

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Leaf size of early amethyst- mine are probably 1.5 to 2" long but I have been growing in larger containers for development with generous fert. Therefore I don't know how small they will get but don't think they will get real small. However they are much smaller than American species.

Bnut- you will be able to do something with a nursery plant just not sure you can get a single trunk, but you can layer I'm sure.

They are so beautiful that the faults can be overlooked. And easy to grow, full sun definitely
Not full sun in Southern California.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If anybody wants to come to Richmond, you can have my two landscape Beautyberries... They're really in the way and take up space in the only prime full sun area in my yard, I take a reciprocating saw to them a couple times a year :eek::eek::cool: but they keep bouncing back :rolleyes:

Can't totally tell if you're serious about this, but I would totally pop down at some point and dig them up if they have decent trunks!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Forest Farm currently has two dichotoma cultivars.

Apparently, dichotoma (also native to China, Japan and Korea) has smaller leaves than Callicarpa japonica it seems the internodes are tighter as well. I am going to guess a drawback would be more difficulty getting a good trunk because of the dwarf nature of most dichotoma cultivars. I might have a lead on some little dichotoma 'Early Amethyst'. Message me if interested. I make no promises on this as they seem kind of hard to come by at the moment.

It also looks like Japonica might be a bit more heat tolerant which bums me out but... What are you going to do?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@thams
Totally serious, I really don't like the spot they're in. My landlord is a plant geek too and he planted all sorts of different trees all over the small property, so I have a hodgepodge landscape that doesn't make sense and doesn't really leave much room for my plants...

I've been here 7 years and they've been here at least that long. I'll check out the trunks and try to get some pictures. I think I'm pretty close to reaching my maximum amount of space on bnut so hopefully I can still upload :eek:. I'm pretty sure they're dichotoma, only because those are the most common ones around here.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@cbroad cool, definitely let me know. I hear they like to form gnarly rafts which would be a fun little project to develop. If they've been there for seven years, then I would imagine they've formed some sort of base that could be worth investing some time in.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Bob, I should have added the disclaimer "full sun in my area, zone 7A."

Can you grow elms and tridents in Vegas? I think conditions could be similar but Callicarpa may be bit stronger.

They like lots of water (once roots are established.) The grow pots that mine are in are 10" in diameter about 4" deep. The plants still needed water twice per day in my climate zone 7A and could have tolerated more water. Also note I am in Chesapeake Bay region, very humid.

Not sure about growing in an oven like Vegas.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Thanks Bob, I should have added the disclaimer "full sun in my area, zone 7A."

Can you grow elms and tridents in Vegas? I think conditions could be similar but Callicarpa may be bit stronger.

They like lots of water (once roots are established.) The grow pots that mine are in are 10" in diameter about 4" deep. The plants still needed water twice per day in my climate zone 7A and could have tolerated more water. Also note I am in Chesapeake Bay region, very humid.

Not sure about growing in an oven like Vegas.

Yea we can do tridents. Vegas is tricky but once you figure out that we have two growing seasons and two dormant seasons you are way better off. The key is during the hottest months you want to really shelter them from sun from about 10AM on. It's not an issue as everything goes to sleep over 100F anyhow. You mainly have to be careful to not over or under water during this time.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where? In a gallery?

Pics here should be unlimited.

In my album. Whenever I post a picture, I have to upload to my album, then add it to a post. Maybe I've been doing it all wrong this whole time... I'm assuming a lot of people just link from photo sharing websites, but I don't have one. Please let me know if there's another way, otherwise I'm going to have to start deleting old pictures...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
In my album. Whenever I post a picture, I have to upload to my album, then add it to a post. Maybe I've been doing it all wrong this whole time... I'm assuming a lot of people just link from photo sharing websites, but I don't have one. Please let me know if there's another way, otherwise I'm going to have to start deleting old pictures...

I have never uploaded to an album that I know of... Or at least not on purpose. I just upload directly to the thread.

Top Bottom