Beautyberry hardwood cuttings?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Curious if anyone has trued taking hardwood cuttings from beautyberry - they root from cuttings so easily I’m wondering if this is viable.

I have one that will need some cuts next year and while not appealing enough to go through air layering I might give it a shot unless others confirm it’s a no-go

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Curious if anyone has trued taking hardwood cuttings from beautyberry - they root from cuttings so easily I’m wondering if this is viable.

I have one that will need some cuts next year and while not appealing enough to go through air layering I might give it a shot unless others confirm it’s a no-go

Some species root well from hardwood cuttings, while softwood cuttings tend to fail. Other root well from softwood cuttings while hardwood cuttings tend to fail. Some root well from both—some neither. It costs next to nothing to try.

Hopefully, someone else here has already tried. If you don't have a copy of the Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Dirr and Heuser, I can check my copy when I'm home—if I remember to do so.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Some species root well from hardwood cuttings, while softwood cuttings tend to fail. Other root well from softwood cuttings while hardwood cuttings tend to fail. Some root well from both—some neither. It costs next to nothing to try.

Hopefully, someone else here has already tried. If you don't have a copy of the Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Dirr and Heuser, I can check my copy when I'm home—if I remember to do so.

I actually think I may. I’m away for the weekend, I’ll check when I get home!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Seems to indicate softwood only, good to know!

Top Bottom