Austrian Black Pine

Vin I tend to think the same but regardless it is a good sign :)

Thanks Joe. But I do feel this may be case by case? I had this pine for 3 years and I knew it pretty well. I felt it could take the abuse I gave it. Please do follow the advise of those more experienced (and wiser) than I. I'd hate for you to do something too drastic to your pine and kill it.
I Didnt word that very well. I did the cutback a while ago with Vances help. It survived and broke some buds so its alive. Not touching it until I am told I can.

I should have said 'I was nervous to take even half off my pine'!

And I ended up only taking off 1/3 and another 1/3-ish needs to come off.

It's just the time of year for scots pines to bud back. Even without styling or thinning it would have bud back, it just allows more light in there and the same energy distributed over less branches. It's time for heavy feeding...

It's just the time of year for scots pines to bud back. Even without styling or thinning it would have bud back, it just allows more light in there and the same energy distributed over less branches. It's time for heavy feeding...

Yes but after the amount I took off, part of me was starting to wonder whether in fact I may have weakened the tree too much? Good to see that was not the case. I am feeding heavy at the moment. Looks like if it does well through winter I may be able to put it into a training box next spring.

Yes, it's always kinda scary until they pop. I was fretting about the JRP I took so much off of until a week or so ago, and was relieved to see the buds! Glad this one is going so strong, it's a special tree.

2 years?

I came looking for pinus Nigra info!

Bogus!

Update?

Sorce

2 years?

I came looking for pinus Nigra info!

Bogus!

Update?

Sorce

No update here. Two springs ago I went to repot it, and to my surprise the trunk extended far into the soil. The base was completely unusable and I became disheartened. I gave it away for landscaping. In retrospect I should have repotted the tree first and later on styled it. Let's move on!

And yes, this tree was in fact a mislabeled Scots pine (Pinus Sylvestris). A favorite of mine!

Thanks!

No update here. Two springs ago I went to repot it, and to my surprise the trunk extended far into the soil. The base was completely unusable and I became disheartened. I gave it away for landscaping. In retrospect I should have repotted the tree first and later on styled it. Let's move on!

And yes, this tree was in fact a mislabeled Scots pine (Pinus Sylvestris). A favorite of mine!

That, find it now or stay safe, is a gambling balance!

Making the decision to "move on" is kind of freeing.

@Littlejoe919 ...

Been thinking about it a lot lately...

Oddly brought on by this ABP.

With no barcode...
I scored it for twenty two bucks...
It was likely 90.

But in a five gallon bucket, in burlap with mulch...
What I got down to was a clay lump with a few good roots out the bottom...

Extra disheartening for me..
But I'd feel duped if I bought it for the ground.
Especially at 90$.

Anyway....
If it lives...

It will only further my intentions to make it cool as hell.

If not...

Furrnt!

Sorce

Reactions: GGB

Did you reject the idea of a gamble on an air layer??

Did you reject the idea of a gamble on an air layer??

Marie generally very difficult to layer pines and much more so on older larger trunks. I don't think was an option here. Most likely I would have killed the tree. So opted to at least have it live in someone else's yard.

Back
Top Bottom