Austrian Black Pine Progression

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have previously posted this tree here, but after my work today I thought this tree deserved its own progression thread.

I first bent this tree quite drematically from this
1693857784820.png
To this
1693857868855.png

Now about four months later I bent it to here

IMG_5404.jpeg

but after my work today I thought this tree deserved its own progression thread. This tree continues to blow my expectations away from a grocery store tree it’s amazing me. This was my first attempt at major bends using a saw to cut the trunk.

IMG_5410.jpeg
IMG_5416.jpegIMG_5416.jpegIMG_5419.jpegIMG_5427.jpegIMG_5431.jpegIMG_5433.jpeg
Let me know any feedback please! I am so happy with it so far best 30 bucks I ever spent. Hopefully the cut doesn’t kill the top buy I got the “v” closed pretty much totally.

Going forward I was thinking of making this part I have in my hand as the new leader and making the current leader either a sacrifice/ a cascade/ just a branch. Like I said please give feedback.

IMG_5438.jpegIMG_5443.jpeg
As far as the future should I just prune all (But my future leader) the branches so there is just like 2 inches of this years growth left on the tips. I was planning on doing that this fall so like 2 months.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a better picture of the front and the possible front and or cascade ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_5448.jpeg
    IMG_5448.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5447.jpeg
    IMG_5447.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5446.jpeg
    IMG_5446.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 30

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m impressed with your bends but the second one in particular is just too unnatural for my taste. It basically does a 180 and lays back on top of itself. I would reduce that back some and move it either forward or backward to give it an extra dimension of movement.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you so much for the feedback. I think you’re right and I’m also not sold on keeping it laying on top its self. I will probably change it, but I need to think for a while before I decide exactly how I want it. Any more ideas are very welcome.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well to keep it lighthearted, it looks like your tree has a testicle.

Way to go on the bold bends, very cool to take that step to the edge and keep it alive.
Now that you mention it I have been wondering what causes big balls to grow on pine trunks? I have a Mugo that also has a similar ball so I would love to know if anyone has any ideas.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t think it’s a gall since it’s covered in bark and no insects. It’s a growth of the tree and I actually really like how it looks but it is odd.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
There are plenty of trees in alpine environments that fold back on themselves, but you might not want it laying directly parallel over the other. Maybe have it angle either towards the front or towards the back, so it doesn’t fee contrived. I can’t really tell from the photo, plus things will look different when it barks up in a few years. I have a similar tree I picked up this year and was thinking about doing something similar to practice wedge cuts. You gave inspiration for this weekend.
Consider next year, putting in the ground if that’s a possibility in letting it run for a while

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I think I’ll change it eventually once I think more and get some good ideas. Right now just one guy wire is holding it in position so it will be easy to change at will. I think I’ll put it in a large pond basket in spring but in the ground is also an option, I have heard mixed opinions which is better for development, and I am not sure how big I want it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You’ll definitely get faster development in the ground, but if you want to “check it” a pond basket could be an option. You could even set that down on the ground and let some of their roots escape out and then sever them each year or two.
A 3 gallon root pouch grow bag would be a good option too

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is an update on this tree. I repotted it today a few weeks ago but I updated the other thread I had but not this progression.
IMG_5968.jpegIMG_5971.jpeg
I think the back will become the front since
there are more surface roots on that side.
IMG_5981.jpeg
Here is the new front.
IMG_5993.jpegIMG_5996.jpeg

Top Bottom