Anyone with Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) experience...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like this combo very much and don't see any contrast of values. Well done and can only improve with age.
Thanks...yes with a little patina it will be even more stunning! Michael Ryan Bell helped me with pot shape. I had two other pots which he found fault for this tree. I stumbled upon this one and he felt it would be a good pairing. So I did get advice first before taking the plunge on the purchase.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Had no intention of this. But noticed as I pulled them from protection today, that these vines really pulled on that tiny tree that was under it all. It's pouring and strong winds...so back in the greenhouse. Came in earlier than we thought. Didn't grab a good shot. But here is a good comparison of what came off. I just kept taking more and more.
Brought the foliage back up into the canopy having a fuller look. Still not six inches. Lol glad I pulled this one from the contest. Love this tree. So grateful I had an excuse to buy this species.
IMG_20190616_195507315.jpg

IMG_20190616_195345073.jpg

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
My mom was allergic...but apparently I am not. So no gloves now. 😉 Though people many times thinks it's poison ivy in a pot. Lol
Then you can use wire. Very fine wire just loosely applied here and there. Works for my ficus pumila, also a vine.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Then you can use wire. Very fine wire just loosely applied here and there. Works for my ficus pumila, also a vine.
I've wired more mature vines. New vines is like thin hair. But this will be cut way back come winter storage in the cold greenhouse. It's more of a novelty leaving it long for fall colors currently.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm probably not doing this right, but I let mine grow unhindered until it drops all of its leaves, and then cut back during the winter. Here are a couple of pics (Garfield for scale).

20191214_04_bonsai_ivy_01.jpg 20191214_06_cats_Lillo_bonsai_ivy_01.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm probably not doing this right, but I let mine grow unhindered until it drops all of its leaves, and then cut back during the winter. Here are a couple of pics (Garfield for scale).

View attachment 305014 View attachment 305015
N8ce! Agreed, with as tiny thin as the vine structure is on new growth. you have to let it grow wild and crazy.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A lot going on for 2020...in everyone's life for sure. I just really haven't had the desire to "stage" a photo shoot. But I did grab an image of this tree that I wish to document for fall colors and then, it heading into dormancy. It's always ahead of everything else. Some things have really yet to give a shout out to fall yet in my pots.
Boston Ivy fall show 2020.jpg

Boston Ivy going dormant 2020.jpg

Boston Ivy leaf on pot 2020.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great tree. That pot goes so incredibly well with the tree in fall color. It's mustve been made specifically for this season and this tree. Love the combo.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great tree. That pot goes so incredibly well with the tree in fall color. It's mustve been made specifically for this season and this tree. Love the combo.
Thank you. That pot was a pain in the arse to purchase. My official Japanese pot from Japan. The site made you not only translate...but change font size. Finally figuring it all out and taking notes. I make the purchase before leaving the country. Only to get an email that third party shipping needed information. All my notes were at home. So I had to blunder through figuring it all out again. Which size text because it wasn't stated. But got it figured out. The pot is stunning and quite the splurge for me at that time. So thank you. The combo...makes me know it was worth the headache. The tree...is one I do enjoy. Many think its poison ivy...which it isn't. But makes some take a double take.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Actually, mine is just common ivy, hedera helix. My experience has been that benign neglect works. Regular feeding is best, but I am expert in sporadic fertilization. Whatever you do, let it sunburn at least once a year. Frost doesn't hurt. Cut it back periodically. Simple shapes work best. But the main thing is, keep it alive. For a long time.

2 weeks ago, I left mine out in a direct-line wind that was clocked at 100mph. The beautiful pot it was in was smashed into zillions of pieces. But, I had this nanban pot. Ivy seems to make everything look good.

View attachment 147809

The trunk resulted from keeping the ivy alive.
cool. i have a porcelain berry thats going to look very similar to this next year. the trunk actually looks gnarled and woven. it had a colony of medium size ants in it for awhile and they almost carved or made tunnels all around and throughout the trunk. the ants are gone and it is vigorous regardless, just unkept and ready for a style next year. its going to be a frankenstein bonsai for sure

Top Bottom