Anyone with Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) experience...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Walter Pall I know your a busy man...I've always admired you. I especially admire your Boston Ivy I've seen on your blog. Anything you can think of that can help me better understand the plant itself in taking it to the next level?

Or anyone else for that matter. I'm finding little of actual hands on experience of the species as used in bonsai. As ones sharing their experiences for the most part.

Did see Owen mention in Japan they defoliate these about a month in of it hardening off leaves in the spring. That...is new to me. And I'm curious of who else does this method...or anything else that be beneficial to my gleaning a direction of handling this new found material on the bench.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seeing mention of defoliating...I thinned the little cutting out. Not overly but to see more clearly. Untangled some vines...that surprisingly now hang straight. No movement to them but one. I twisted one with movement and hope it holds at some point. But...didn't use wire so I doubt it does much. Just can't work with gloves on well. But...see possibly more of a direction to take. Was hoping the tangled mess would keep its twists...but...no luck. Hang limply from the plant. Still looks pretty in leaf though. So...there is that.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You should reach out to Fredtruck. He's got a nice one that he posted a while back.

AWESOME! Thanks for letting me know!!!
Wonder why I missed it in my search on here. Hey @fredtruck ...care to let me pick your brain to any significant things I should know about this species?

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, mine is just common ivy, hedera helix. My experience has been that benign neglect works. Regular feeding is best, but I am expert in sporadic fertilization. Whatever you do, let it sunburn at least once a year. Frost doesn't hurt. Cut it back periodically. Simple shapes work best. But the main thing is, keep it alive. For a long time.

2 weeks ago, I left mine out in a direct-line wind that was clocked at 100mph. The beautiful pot it was in was smashed into zillions of pieces. But, I had this nanban pot. Ivy seems to make everything look good.

ivy 5-25-17.jpg

The trunk resulted from keeping the ivy alive.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks @fredtruck ! No wonder I couldn't find your post with it another variety of Ivy. It's beautiful!!! The pot stunning...great tip on the sunburn as well. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge. It's so frustrating not finding much on them.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have really defoliated this guy...removed some more mature vines...getting a feel for a direction. One branch up top looks like it had die back...but I totally question its "Mame" classification. From top of soil to top of tree...is just shy of 6"...I like the tendrils...one needs to allow things to grow out. But...I'm questioning if I can keep it at Mame size. The actual structure of the tree qualifies...but if I let it grow out (tendrils)...it slips into another classification.

Pots that I am pondering...
image.jpg

A better look at the one far right...an Erin pot.
image.jpg

Tokoname pot
image.jpg

Begei pot just slightly bigger...
image.jpg

Last edited:

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I train the native Virginia Creeper, let the leaves harden off and cut back hard (Training for ramification). Cut to the point where only a few leaves remain.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I train the native Virginia Creeper, let the leaves harden off and cut back hard (Training for ramification). Cut to the point where only a few leaves remain.
I've one myself...was told to defoliate completely before I leave for Honduras in two weeks. Will allow a smaller leaf for fall colors.

Would love to see your creeper. Mine is out back...let me see if I have a photo of it. The new vines of the Boston Ivy are so thin...unlike the creeper. Very delicate.
20170616_110606.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got a little one about a month ago to play with, so I don't have advice to give yet about them. Ive seen some nice ones that a couple people in one of my clubs have.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I had a few going but one by one the leaves went black and got crispy. I don't now why. There are a few Parthenocissus's, all in the grape family. Wolfgang Putz has a nice one. And Matthew Ouwinga.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had a few going but one by one the leaves went black and got crispy. I don't now why. There are a few Parthenocissus's, all in the grape family. Wolfgang Putz has a nice one. And Matthew Ouwinga.

Will have to see if I can pick their brain...sorry to hear of your woes...with losing your material. That is very odd...I tried to figure it out in google search. But no luck.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the Erin pot for it the blue brings out the darker older leaves in the tree.....

But the first pot is a good choice as well. Light and airy feel such as an ivy is.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the Erin pot for it the blue brings out the darker older leaves in the tree.....

But the first pot is a good choice as well. Light and airy feel such as an ivy is.
Thanks...there is a discussion elsewhere...as to why the one I hold up...(last photo) won't work. So it very well may get something else...good contender...love my Erin pots.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I miss so many threads. There are so many I can never keep up !

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry...I doubt you missed anything. It's not here...but a FB group. Being schooled on incurved lipped pots. They are not meant for cascades. I am always up for a good lesson.

ahh gotcha! I'm not part of FB so I miss all that stuff pretty much.

Interesting I have never thought of that topic, but now that you said it, I can see how that makes sense, if the cascade is pointing outward, the in curved pot is working against that movement. Am I close? :) If I'm wrong, I'd like to learn why

Top Bottom