Anyone go collecting in the upper peninsula in Michigan?

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't have much time to travel to the UP being that I live about 5-6 hours from the bridge. I was just wondering if anyone lives or goes collecting in the UP and if you know what the general blooming time is for some of the trees up there...specifically the Ponderosa pines and larches. I wanted to plan a trip to swing up there this year, but being that it's getting late in the season I'm assuming everything beyond collection time. So now I'm trying to plan something for next year.

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
*Bump* ;)

I've been thinking about going up to scout some trees as a birthday trip in October, but I have no clue where to even start. I hear Lake Superior has some really rocky areas, but I know very little about what areas are accessible and what aren't.

Is there anyone on this forum that's from the UP? I might just have to go up on a hunch (or even look via Google's satellites or something) and see if anything turns up. If this ends up being the case and I find something worth posting about, I'll be sure to do so. :D

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a some larch and cedar that I collected in the UP. That was a few years ago when my son lived there. He took me to a number of different places including the Lake Superior shore but I don't think I could find any of them again. I believe most of the places we went were owned by mining companies who were fine with us collecting. I do remember the trips were in early May. You could go earlier I'm sure. October is a great time to collect also.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you Gene! That's definitely more information than I had -- now I can maybe even contact some mining companies about collecting so I have some idea of possible destinations.

Yeah, I was wondering if October would be an okay collecting time. I'm not an experienced collector, so I may just wait until spring to go just to ensure the trees' survival. lol

Just curious, are you in Traverse City, by chance?

tolz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too All
Any bonsai enthusiast in Las Vegas. Going out for work.
tolz

Top Bottom