Another RMJ (and Deshojo) From Midwest Bonsai Show.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I went to the show to see Bjorn's demo, and pick some Itoigawa whips from Jim Doyle brought for me.

But unfortunately/fortunately Bill V's had this Deshojo Maple which I've wanted one for awhile. Nice trunk movement, but one nasty root. That'll have to be dealt with eventually. I also saw his book that was really impressive. Now I understand why all the postive reviews here.So I got those two.

I was about to leave, I went back to Jim's stand to pay, and found this awesome RMJ tucked in a corner. It was pretty expensive, but I couldn't stop myself from buying it lol That's a 2x2 for size comparison.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• Deshojo2.jpg
    Deshojo2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Deshojo1.jpg
    Deshojo1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 68
  • RMJ4.jpg
    RMJ4.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 81
  • RMJ3.jpg
    RMJ3.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 81

fore

Omono
Reaction score
More RMJ pics

Attachments

• RMJ2.jpg
    RMJ2.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 50
  • RMJ1.jpg
    RMJ1.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 45

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I'd love to play with either one...nice pick ups.

Thanks Dave! I'm starting to become a big RMJ fan now too lol

If in the end I can't get the foliage denser, I'm much more open to the idea of grafting on Shimpaku/Itoigawa/or Kishu...which I more than enough of each to air layer some for 4" pots (which I'm def. going to do with these new Itoigawa's as they are too big in those 2 g. pots.) But it's going to be quite awhile as there's both kind of foliage on it now, and not due for a repot for 4-5yrs per Jim) It's still beautiful too look at now, so I'm going to be extra patient with it like my PPine I've let go wild this yr. When you let these trees grow, and become more strong, it back buds much more.

And I talked to Jim about maybe doing 1/2day consult here at home (he's in the area a bit) and help me with that other RMJ I have and split the live vein and bring it to the front. It'll make the tree a lot better. We'll see...

Plan on that maple is to repot next yr and start working on the nebari. I gotta get rid of that chicken claw root slowly. Bill was nice enough to give me a guide to the trunk line, identify the best front, and where to cut back next yr for the next extension of the trunk. First time I met him, a very nice guy. Plus, after seeing his book, I had to get it. I see why now all the positive reviews here online. Simply beautiful photography and trees.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Rmj 2

Here's a closer look at the trunk and deadwood.

RMJ5.jpg

RMJ6.jpg

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Potted up. Maybe will style later this yr? No idea why I didn't take a pic of the whole tree lol

Edit: yes, that's cut paste from my crap job of cleaning the bark.

Attachments

• untitled-29.jpg
    untitled-29.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom