Played with another rmj today

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No worries Brian, your post didn't come off as harsh at all. You're right of course, a person can only expect to get so far through the popular Bonsai School of Reading Things Some Person Posted On The Internet. I'm in the interior of B.C. North of Montana so even Seattle is a ways to go. I'd like to travel over to Portland sometime to see firsthand the work on yamadori junipers etc going on over there these days. Maybe carry on and visit Elandan too. I don't k ow when if ever actual study will happen but I'm sure I will at least get out to visit those places soon.
Mp

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
No worries Brian, your post didn't come off as harsh at all. You're right of course, a person can only expect to get so far through the popular Bonsai School of Reading Things Some Person Posted On The Internet. I'm in the interior of B.C. North of Montana so even Seattle is a ways to go. I'd like to travel over to Portland sometime to see firsthand the work on yamadori junipers etc going on over there these days. Maybe carry on and visit Elandan too. I don't k ow when if ever actual study will happen but I'm sure I will at least get out to visit those places soon.
Mp

-----and yet it can be done. You don't need these venues to grow just a desire to do so; not that they wont help and save you years.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No work done to this tree this year but I was just exploring new planting angles before packing trees away for the winter.

I'm thinking the first pic here is where I'll go with the tree, better?

Attachments

• IMG_20141025_105343490_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141025_105343490_HDR.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20141025_100559.jpg
    IMG_20141025_100559.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20141025_120320.jpg
    IMG_20141025_120320.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20141025_094946480.jpg
    IMG_20141025_094946480.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 51

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I prefer the semi cascade position over the upright...but after that, I'm not sure which angle is better because I can't tell whether the trunk is moving toward or away from me.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the input Dave. The trunk moves slighty forward until the first bend then back to where the branches start. Beyond that everything is flexible and easily manipulated. Similar front to back movement on both the slanted options. I had a plan for the upright position that I thought would be not bad but I'm thinking the angle change option will be more interesting.

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally, I'd be so bummed if this became a cascade. I feel like it's lovely as a cascade but potentially unique as an upright.

Thanks for the input Dave. The trunk moves slighty forward until the first bend then back to where the branches start. Beyond that everything is flexible and easily manipulated. Similar front to back movement on both the slanted options. I had a plan for the upright position that I thought would be not bad but I'm thinking the angle change option will be more interesting.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally, I'd be so bummed if this became a cascade. I feel like it's lovely as a cascade but potentially unique as an upright.

Thanks, I have never had anyone with any bonsai experience here to look at trees and bounce ideas off so I'm happy for any opinions on my trees or work that I might get here.

The angle change could become cascade or semi-cascade but doesn't necessarily have to. An option I'm liking right now is the first pic with foliage continuing upwards as if the main trunk died and the lower subtrunk is taking its place. Apex and most if not all of the foliage to be on the left of the jinn.

Here's the pic cropped and scribbled on, closest I can come to a virt on the smartphone. I don't own a working computer right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20141026_215500.jpg
    IMG_20141026_215500.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 37

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think the upright position was the way to go. It will make a nice ancient looking informal/slant style. As far as the cascade, I don't think it had enough foliage and probably not enough live vein through the cascade area to make a good cascade. Grafting might be an option if there is live area. I see this tree looking something like this virt.

Rob

DSC00005 - Copy.JPG

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob, thanks!

Yeah, I'm happy with the choice, it was a tough call as I quite liked one of the tilted options but the trunkline was a bit off for what I had in mind. Right now my thought is for it to be very similar to the first current pic with the foliage layered and a crown made apparent, I think it would be quite easy and could pretty much be accomplished with existing foliage right now. I will let the tree recover first though. Your virt is a very nice image, very different feel than my planned image, I will keep it in mind for this tree before carrying on with further work, thanks again.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Monte, I love the angle and direction this one is going. Much better than a cascade/semi cas imo! A great structure to build on.

Top Bottom