Another rmj

Discussion in 'Junipers' started by wireme, Jul 4, 2013.

1. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

Repotted this year and thinned out yesterday. The front the other front and cap'n dogg for scale. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Waltron, Ezell and Arcto like this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

Here's a few interior shots. This small tree is loaded with character and gnar, partially the result of life next to a bighorn sheep bed and mostly due to repeated heavy cedar apple rust infections. To bring out the best of this tree would take many hours of fine detail work on the jinns, Shari's and deadwood. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Djtommy likes this.
  4. jkl

jkl Masterpiece

Trees grow better right side up.

5. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

Going for a new style and planning on calling it supercascade.

6. Brian Van Fleet

Brian Van Fleet Imperial Masterpiece

Nice material.

7. october

october Masterpiece

Exceptional tree! You don't really see many natural looking ones like this. Almost has a redwood look to it. Beautiful tree.

Rob

8. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

It's funny you should say that Rob, I only know redwoods from National Geographic pics but I've always thought this tree should be styled to emulate one. No wiring of all the branches down for this tree, more like vertical sub trunks and crowns I'm thinking.
    This tree has never been styled, just 2 bouts of selective thinning and pruning now, I guess it is four years since collection. It has been fully juvenile foliage since the day of collection, maybe once it settles into the pot that will change, no big deal, juvenile foliage may actually suit the style better anyway.
    Sorry for the pics all being upsideways, I'll try to sort that out for the next post.

Monte

9. edprocoat

edprocoat Masterpiece

That's a nice looking juniper, why is it growing sideways like that ? :rolleyes:

I like your idea for styling hope to see it when its all wired.

ed

10. dkraft81

dkraft81 Shohin

Nice looking tree thanks for sharing

11. october

october Masterpiece

Sounds good. Maybe some horizontal like branches, just not wired down, but horizontal or parallel to the ground. Either way, the tree is really nice and unique.

Rob

12. amkhalid

amkhalid Chumono

Looks good man! Great branch placement.

That slender RMJ you saw in a weak state at my place is almost certainly dead now. Not sure what the hell happened. I think it had something to do with the rust infection, although the tree was always really strong. Repotting messed up something.

13. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

You'll have to come see it in person someday Aaron, the micro features (tiny jinns and sharis) are really cool and hard to capture in picture, even sideways:rolleyes: Thats really too bad about yours, it looked great in the new pot and would have gotten better. I wonder what went wrong? I have lost a branch or 2 by cutting the wrong root in past repottings but never seen an rmj pale like that after. I don't wash the roots, just crumble out the old soil and I keep a mister nearby and mist a lot during the process. The big one still looking good?

Rob, suggestion noted, thanks!

14. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

Threw some wire at'er today.

Attached Files:

15. MrFancyPlants

MrFancyPlants Chumono

The dog is probably much happier he doesn't have to cling to the ground anymore...
    Seriously, sweet tree. I think you have the correct approach to enhance the natural habit rather than forcing it into another form. Well done.

16. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

Thank you.

Here's lookin down, a few wires left wild to trim still.. side shots to come after I finish installing our new door.

Attached Files:

17. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

Side view, trunks a bit funny looking from the side and you can see the back branches did not all get the full bondage treatment.

And the front again after a couple small tweaks.

Open for discussion BTW.

Attached Files:

18. larlamonde

larlamonde Mame

Nice piece of material. Any thoughts about the thick branch 3/4 up on the left?

19. KennedyMarx

KennedyMarx Omono

Cool material. I think the lack of nebari hurts the tree in the current style. I know junipers aren't known for maple like nebari, but it's something that sticks out to me.

20. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

The one just below the new jinn on the right? I like it. Some cleanup of bark and branch stubs near the trunk will reduce the visual weight there. I choose to wire first so as not to work around branches that wind up being removed. Further decisions and editing of the structure will happen there once selected foliage gains some strength. What is it that makes you ask about that particular area?

Mp

Attached Files:

21. wireme

wireme Masterpiece

I would love a great nebari on this! I don't think I can do much about it though. There is a strong root on the right not so visible in the pic. I can make that a bit more apparent, might help a bit.

Attached Files: