Another partway rmj

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one was repotted from the collection box last spring. I don't have a before pic available right now but the main branch was been pulled down from almost horizontal and the top removed after much debate with myself. I'm happy with the choice now..

Again it will be think and grow for a bit now, and some bark cleaning. I personally like flaky bark on these rmj but I may polish this one up a bit.IMG_20150809_105849.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little start on cleaning and carving, super fun., especially carving, just did a bit and made myself stop before eating up all the deadwood.

Attachments

• IMG_20150826_180921104.jpg
    IMG_20150826_180921104.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20150826_181015071.jpg
    IMG_20150826_181015071.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20150826_184539427_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150826_184539427_HDR.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 169

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great direction Wireme!

Gonna be stunning!

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Came across an earlier pic of the tree yesterday. Partway along after first potting and beginnings of the branch lowering but close enough to as collected.
You can see the options I decided to remove now. My current favoured design idea requires more removal, removal of all the upper foliage and using the bottom 2 branches only, can't say for sure I'll follow through with that but debating. image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sneek preview...

A bit of a rough in happened tonight.
This is not a styling, I doubt that anchoring guy wires to plastic bags is an approved technique.
Just a few things kind of roughed in as visualization aid to help me make up my mind to commit to the design I've been imagining.
Only the lowest couple branches would be used, the rest including the tufts up high would go. Earlier pics show the branches better. It's not all that clear in the pic but enough to get an idea. Sharing in case someone wants to tell me I'm crazy to remove the branches. I'll look at it for a while, I think I like it. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been working on this building lately, just finishing the siding now. It will be a meadery, cool.

Anyways the worksite offers a nice view of the former home of this tree. Thought I'd share, red arrow shows where it came from. I remember the day well, nice weather, beautiful hike, lots of ticks. It was a 10hr 1 tree day. Not many humans would have ever seen this tree up there and I'm sure none would ever stop and pay it any notice. This is just about the maximum elevation of RMJ in these parts, they are actually more common at lower elevations than where this one was collected.

This is a kind of rain shadow zone, very dry, very cold in winter with not much snow, tons of sun, junipers like it. -35c out there this morning. Lots of Elk hang out around here for winter because the snowpack is shallow enough that they can scratch down to the dry old grass easily and find at least a little something to eat, tough life in winter...image.jpg

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright, I went ahead and removed those branches that were covered by the bag. Then,, couldn't resist, had to rearrange things a bit. I had thought about this one over winter, changed my plan a bit and this is what I was thinking of. More or less. There's a ways to go but I don't see the point in trying for a finish look at this stage. I think this is it for now, let the poor thing rest and grow and carry on later.
Like it or not at least you can't say I haven't done anything to it right?image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
From a higher viewing angle you can see I left some foliage high on the trunk. That's backup plan in case the tree doesn't like the work done. Or in case I don't. I'd like to have that loophole space up there left open and visible too from the lower angle, it'll happen later. The live vein on this tree is visible on the lower right for about half the tree then wraps behind and pops out on the upper left. image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice life.

Bro...you know these trees pretty well.
That, and the Moose Size Sack is the only reason I would make this risky suggestion....

So....

Well...first...it already looks better With the foliage closer to the trunk....

But...

If you could do the whole...live vein separation(if needed) joint at the top...

And run the branch back down close...
aviary-image-1496567335083.jpeg

:rolleyes: Kinda looks like I have a mini samurai prodding my brain to do it the Japanese way.....

Too Tradish?

Weird...this tree has a similar swoops as the one I collected...and a similar usable crown branch.

I'd love to see your virt if you get 2 seconds to sketch!

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice life.

That, and the Moose Size Sack is the only reason I would make this risky suggestion....

So....

But...

View attachment 148239

:rolleyes: Kinda looks like I have a mini samurai prodding my brain to do it the Japanese way.....

Too Tradish?

Weird...this tree has a similar swoops as the one I collected...and a similar usable crown branch.

Sorce

We've all got our mini samurai probably, why not? Some pretty decent trees over there to be inspired by.

I could split and tear the junction there and tighten it up but for now I want to use the open loop rather than hide or close it. I'm thinking to have the rising foliage kind of framed in within the upper loop. More abstract than naturalistic for sure. Might be very hard to develop and maintain with its native foliage, super tight would be easier but we'll see.

With fresh eyes this morning I'm thinking I might be better off moving the bend across the back up a notch to the next junction. Not gonna try to change it now though, I don't like to bend on way then another and another especially this time of year when cambium separation should be considered. Tried quick virts.

image.jpg image.jpg
And daytime shots show what's currently going on a bit better. Different angles first one should be front. funny looking I don't deny that but I'm optimistic that in the end it will be cool.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trunk is way sexy!

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice life.

So....

But...

View attachment 148239

Too Tradish?

Sorce

Hey, where's the swoopy thing you collected? I didn't see it.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
, I've never seen a collected juniper give new green and not make it.

:)Thanks! I know I'm not out of the woods yet. But that's great to hear!

Nicpirations!

Sorce

Top Bottom