American Hornbeam, keep or remove first branch?

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I grew this American hornbeam from a seedling. A few years back, I was tired of the sinuous branches created from wiring, so I chopped them back and re-grew the branches by clip-and-grow. I am much happier with the more angular branch movements, but I am also bothered by the bottom right first branch which grew thicker and thicker, and am thinking of cutting it off. What do you guys think?

The first and second branches are about 45 degrees forward, hard to tell from the 2-D photo. Decision, decision! Once the big branch is gone, there is no turning back.

IMG_4508.JPG

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I grew this American hornbeam from a seedling. A few years back, I was tired of the sinuous branches created from wiring, so I chopped them back and re-grew the branches by clip-and-grow. I am much happier with the more angular branch movements, but I am also bothered by the bottom right first branch which grew thicker and thicker, and am thinking of cutting it off. What do you guys think?

The first and second branches are about 45 degrees forward, hard to tell from the 2-D photo. Decision, decision! Once the big branch is gone, there is no turning back.
Leave it alone. You may have artist/viewer fatigue from looking at it too often for too many years. It's objectively a well-designed tree, and your idea of grow and clip was spot-on.

Zach

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave it for now. The bottom branches will only improve with time and more ramification. If it still doesn't look right to you it can always be removed, its much harder( not impossible) to put it back.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd leave the branch as is. I like the results of your clip-and-grow procedure. It's worked very well. I like a tree where the lower branch, perhaps left and right thicken and extend out....eventually, in nature, those branches begin to sag downward even more with their weight. A right proper tree you've worked up!

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have a lower branch that's actually to scale. Why would you want to remove it?

Those bottom two branches are almost perfectly to scale right now. I see real-life trees with lower branches in those proportions all the time.

If anything, some of your upper branches could stand to get a little thicker. Just keep working on ramification and building a canopy, and it will look great. If you don't want those lower branches to thicken up so much, don't let them run.

Nice tree, btw.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wish I had such problems in my back yard! :(

My inclinations are to:
  1. keep that lower right branch - thicken and lengthen it
  2. remove the central heavy part of the lowest left branch
  3. cut back the upper branches to develop more ramification closer to the trunk
I think this will result in the low canopy being skewed to the right (asymmetry is good). So I fantasize about how having the branches mostly longer on the right side might exaggerate/highlight the movement of the trunk and might make the tree even more interesting.

Regardless, I too think removing that bottom right branch would be nuts, @Chuah (the other Nuts, that have already commented, were more polite about it :)).

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thicker and thicker

I feel like we some how got caught up on this statement.

Chuah, why else don't you like that branch?

It surely doesn't have the ramification of the others, which for me, in this state, makes it look young, making the rest of the tree look young, or rather, I just can't get passed that branch...NOW!

So..
How long...if ever, would it take change that?

Ok...
I keep going back to look at it...

And the reason it looks off is because it's below the first bend.
It doesn't "make sense".
It "feels akward".

I would really like to see it with a white background and a white towel over that branch.

Cut it.
Slight tilt right.

But honestly....
Your instincts are AWARD WINNING!
I'd follow them before anything else.

Sorce

Went back again...
Cut it!
It's disturbing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A case could be made for the fact that is kinda, sorta, almost on the inside of a curve....but that's just devil's advocate talk ...

I think the reason it seems out of place is that very reason, but in a different dimension of sorts...

The visual weight of it makes the bend in the trunk .....like you can't enjoy that movement because that branch...ah...it's making me want to cuss.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think the reason it seems out of place is that very reason, but in a different dimension of sorts...

The visual weight of it makes the bend in the trunk .....like you can't enjoy that movement because that branch...ah...it's making me want to cuss.

Sorce
I think it would look empty without it, and honestly, the thickness is desirable IMHO.
It's also just one picture...ya know.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you every one for your input. I was thinking of removing it last year but hesitated. There is no buyer remorse once that branch is gone. I am going to repot it within the next few days and the question of that nagging first branch popped up again. Like Sorce and Zach said, it is below the first bend and after looking at it for so long, it becomes a nagging thought especially when it is naked. It is not bad when the tree is full of leaves. I was also concerned as the first branch gets thicker I am loosing the first inner bend. May be I shouldn't worry about it, our girth grows too as we get older.

Clip and grow does give the desired look of branch movements but it takes so long. A Lingnan penjing master once told me, each bend equals one year of growth and that's how you tell the number of years spent in branch development. So counting the number of bends in the lower branches, I must have switched to clip and grow five years ago. I am not so concerned about the ramification right now, just focus on building the branches till they give the overall silhouette I like. Each branch is built like the main trunk with taper and movements. Once that structure is completed, ramifications will come quickly. As I was taught, worrying about ramification at too early a stage just complicates structural development. In fact I was thinking I might try to root the first branch to make a shohin, LOL! As Judy suggested, I will rotate the tree a little clockwise and see how it looks at from a new angle.

Once the top grows thicker in proportion to the lower trunk, I will shorten the tree to get a more proportional taper.

OK, I will keep it. Many thanks!

Top Bottom