American hornbeam health?

jesse3489

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, I've only been in the hobby for about a year and a half and recently acquired a nice american hornbeam that had been collected around 15 years ago. When I got the tree I had been told that the tree had been in the nursery container for around 15 years. When I received the tree the leafs were just coming out and thought it might be safe to do a conservative repot just to get it into some well draining soil again. When repotting I noticed an ant colony in the container but there were a large amount of roots. I trimmed around 25% of the roots, again since it was already leafing out I didn't want to shock the tree too much. Being an absolute moron, I accidentally left the tree in an area that was basically full sun and scorched nearly every emerging leaf on the tree. My question is, will this tree bounce back or did i just kill it. When I scratch the bark it is still green and the tree still has around 25% of leaves still attached and some are nice and green but others are completely destroyed. I am keeping it in full shade now and water it twice a day.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello, I've only been in the hobby for about a year and a half and recently acquired a nice american hornbeam that had been collected around 15 years ago. When I got the tree I had been told that the tree had been in the nursery container for around 15 years. When I received the tree the leafs were just coming out and thought it might be safe to do a conservative repot just to get it into some well draining soil again. When repotting I noticed an ant colony in the container but there were a large amount of roots. I trimmed around 25% of the roots, again since it was already leafing out I didn't want to shock the tree too much. Being an absolute moron, I accidentally left the tree in an area that was basically full sun and scorched nearly every emerging leaf on the tree. My question is, will this tree bounce back or did i just kill it. When I scratch the bark it is still green and the tree still has around 25% of leaves still attached and some are nice and green but others are completely destroyed. I am keeping it in full shade now and water it twice a day.
Hello, I would be inclined to say the tree is ok considering it was already well established and you didn't cut too many roots. Ideally, repotting would have been done before leaves popped but I have collected A. Hornbeam (with 80-90% root reduction) while in leaf and the leaves stayed, too.
I think its will be fine based on the info. Post some pics if you can.

jesse3489

Seed
Reaction score
Ah, yes meant to post the pics earlier.
1000003226.jpg1000003227.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Give it partial shade, stop scratching the bark and let it recover at its own pace. Make sure it stays moist, it should push new buds but only time will tell.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let it alone. Stop doing stuff to it. Let it do what it will do. It's suffered a pretty egregious set back. Keep your fingers crossed.

Top Bottom