Yamadori American Hornbeam

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My American hornbeam Yamadori that was originally collected in NC by Gary Clark and was acquired by me in a workshop with Sergio Cuan in summer of 2022. Here is the picture of the raw material when I acquired it.
405C4013-38B7-46D2-A70E-7AF88F51F78D.jpeg
Sergio and I just performed some pruning and branch selection as well as light wiring during the workshop.

In March of this year I took the tree to Eisei-en for repotting.

Here is the tree as of December 2023. It is developing nicely and quickly becoming a favorite in my collection.
F9B23352-FE2E-4B41-9DCB-687C50879EE9.jpeg

Its a nice tree! Did you ever come across this one, has a similar form, very natural looking.
Think you could probably get more movement into the first right branch though and taper.

Some good discussion in this video

Its a nice tree! Did you ever come across this one, has a similar form, very natural looking.
Think you could probably get more movement into the first right branch though and taper.

I have not seen that one, but I do like the tree.

For the branch, I do agree. I will eventually cut back once I build more internal ramification, I have even considered the possibility of removing that branch all together. But still thinking on it

This video is such a great inspiration for anyone wanting a natural looking hornbeam. @Piedmont Bonsai ‘s tree is well on its way. It has been set up for success and I look forward to seeing more of it in the future.

Here is a more recent photo of that tree (shameless plug...) and in one of my pots :). I am wanting advice on another American Hornbeam and really enjoy all the different ways those trees can be styled. (I am getting ready to start another hornbeam thread...)

Attachments

• PXL_20221009_152406280.jpg
    PXL_20221009_152406280.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom