Air Layer Pods

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was curious if anyone on the forum has tried using those air layer pods? I’ve always air layered larger in ground trees but want to do some smaller branches (3/8 to 1/2 inch) with my smaller potted trees.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just purchased a couple of each size to try this spring. Also bought some sphagnum moss to use in them.
I like the thought of using a black plastic to absorb heat to promote root growth. Hopefully they don't get too hot!!
Still a little too early here to begin airlayering.
I'll report back after I have a chance to use them.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just purchased a couple of each size to try this spring. Also bought some sphagnum moss to use in them.
I like the thought of using a black plastic to absorb heat to promote root growth. Hopefully they don't get too hot!!
Cool! Are you talking about using the black plastic around the pod to help insulate it? I am going to get some as well and try. I like how the medium somewhat compresses when the pod is closed.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool! Are you talking about using the black plastic around the pod to help insulate it? I am going to get some as well and try. I like how the medium somewhat compresses when the pod is closed.
Yes, they should help with keeping the light out and absorb heat from the sun.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also picked up some earlier this month can’t until I can try them out. We should update this thread later this season with results hopefully good results. Mine are also black and depending on how much sun they are exposed to I am considering covering some with foil tape to reflect and keep them a little cooler.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also picked up some earlier this month can’t until I can try them out. We should update this thread later this season with results hopefully good results. Mine are also black and depending on how much sun they are exposed to I am considering covering some with foil tape to reflect and keep them a little cooler.
That sounds like a good idea. The pods seem pretty cool. I’m going to order some this weekend. They seem practical. Yeah definitely, would be cool to see the results!

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That sounds like a good idea. The pods seem pretty cool. I’m going to order some this weekend. They seem practical. Yeah definitely, would be cool to see the results!
Make sure to shop around. I think I got mine from Amazon. They were the cheapest I could find.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is the smallest size branch anyone has successfully air layered when it comes to jmaples? I’m going to attempt to do some smaller then 3/8 maybe a 1/4 inch branch. I bought some tiny pods just to experiment. Excited to do some air layering soon!!!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it too early to ask about results on these trials? I guess none of you have opened them up yet...
I did some about a month and a half ago. With those I didn’t leave a bridge and they aren’t looking to well but we’ll see. I’ve done well when I leave a bridge and usually leave the air layer on for a year. I take it off the following year once they have extended in late spring. But I tried some early this spring in hopes I can take off in several months.
The pods make it easier to apply and can be used over and over. That’s what I like about them.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Took of my first layer today. This was the smaller branch size I did. These ones clip so it is very easy to use. The larger ones have a zip tie and break in half so I haven’t opened them up. But for this branch size these pods that clip work very efficiently. Since they aren’t entirely enclosed they have to be watered.

Attachments

• C28DE0CE-136C-4634-B9FD-41ABF2E8A73D.jpeg
    C28DE0CE-136C-4634-B9FD-41ABF2E8A73D.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 66723C1D-CF59-44CA-BEAD-CA045F990F23.jpeg
    66723C1D-CF59-44CA-BEAD-CA045F990F23.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 114

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I prefer using clear plastic pop bottles, or any clear plastic container that has a shape. Here are 3 on a Bene Hime...Air Layer 2021_0624 Acer 'Bene Hime' b.JPG
The 3 above are sectioned coffee flavoring bottles that are nice and stiff and have grooves that mate together to prevent sliding around. The exact length can be customized like above where space is limited. Also, two of the above have the holes through the bottom off-center so they will fit next to each other where the branches are only an inch apart.
air layer plastic bottle x.JPG

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I prefer using clear plastic pop bottles, or any clear plastic container that has a shape. Here are 3 on a Bene Hime...View attachment 383114
The 3 above are sectioned coffee flavoring bottles that are nice and stiff and have grooves that mate together to prevent sliding around. The exact length can be customized like above where space is limited. Also, two of the above have the holes through the bottom off-center so they will fit next to each other where the branches are only an inch apart.
View attachment 383118
Nice method! And beautiful tree! As long as roots grow it’s all good. I’m not trying to convert people to the pods. But for me it cuts my time down doing air layers. Just snap it together and done. Durable and reusable.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
#2 cut off. Supposed to be a rainy and cool week so the roots should have some time to adjust before the heat of summer comes. I have a few more to cut off. Gonna wait after the summer heat to cut off the air layers I did more recently.

Attachments

• 0654A698-4981-4C01-B301-131BDF93BD0E.jpeg
    0654A698-4981-4C01-B301-131BDF93BD0E.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 8D543064-E507-4DF7-A9E8-7E0C32C182F8.jpeg
    8D543064-E507-4DF7-A9E8-7E0C32C182F8.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 52
  • BC50D376-E057-4CC4-BB0B-33DD91EB581B.jpeg
    BC50D376-E057-4CC4-BB0B-33DD91EB581B.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 81
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like using clear to-go containers with a slit and hole cut through. Same concept but you can see when the roots are growing without having to potentially break them by opening things up to check on them. Plus, another good excuse to get some Thai take-out.

58F9297A-C367-4C69-B247-B22E86A633F2_1_105_c.jpeg27169B97-2015-401A-BD3B-A6602C3C5CBD_1_105_c.jpeg

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How did everyone make out with the pods?

How about sizes? I could not find information online about the size differences.
Thank you for your help.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used all 3 of the sizes. I really like them. They are way easier than the other methods and pods are really fast to do. I can do several in a 20 minute span.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I'm a fan as well. You can buy clear ones too, which is nice because you can see the roots.

PXL_20210721_013808839 (1).jpg

I made the mistake of adding dry Sphagnum moss though, thinking I could wet it after everything was together. Took awhile to soak through.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have used all 3 of the sizes. I really like them. They are way easier than the other methods and pods are really fast to do. I can do several in a 20 minute span.
Thank you for the additional information. How was it to keep wet? Do they need constant watering? Which Brand did you get? Thanks again.

Top Bottom