Air Layer Pods

I like using clear to-go containers with a slit and hole cut through. Same concept but you can see when the roots are growing without having to potentially break them by opening things up to check on them. Plus, another good excuse to get some Thai take-out.

View attachment 383292View attachment 383293

Wow I was about to ask where I can buy some pods for next year but I love this idea! How have I not seen this before, it's so obvious and perfect!

For the hardwood cuttings pictured above the cut was in late winter, before any bud swelling. I believe it's generally suggested to take hardwood cuttings in early to mid winter.
I haven’t heard about this method. I was told take them when buds swell. So after you cut in winter what do you do with them?

I'm sure there are numerous propagation experts on this site, so hopefully they can chime in too. Hardwood cuttings are usually taken during dormancy, before any bud swelling. In fact most accounts I've read say late Fall to mid winter, though it varies by species.

In my case this year, I was chopping the tree anyways so I had nothing to lose by trying to root the cuttings. They were placed directly in moist, but not wet, potting soil and left outside to the elements (after last frost) in shade or dappled morning sun. It was probably late Feb - late June before it was clear which would make it and which wouldn't, so 4 months. In that time the key thing was not letting the first flush of leaves dry out.

On Amazon if you find "The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation" you can search inside the book without buying it. If you search for "Dawn Redwood" you'll find a section with more specific instructions. I'm not sure if it's considered ok to repost that here, but that book basically says take cuttings in late Dec/early Jan, leave in cold storage for a month, then treat with rooting hormone and place in a medium.

I've seen a few references in the past to allowing hardwood cuttings (and air layers) to dry out and callous a bit before putting in a moist medium. I'm curious if others here know the rationale and usefulness behind that.

Just buy the book or you are not all that serious about plant propagation
or they may be somewhat interested in plant propogation, it's not in their budget, and they're trying to learn as best they can. Kudos to that. In fact, I think that's why this forum exists, no?

Last edited:
or they may be somewhat interested in plant propogation, it's not in their budget, and they're trying to learn as best they can. Kudos to that. In fact, I think that's why this forum exists, no?
Fine, buy 3 or 4 cups of coffee at Starbucks instead and fumble around in the dark.

I'm sure there are numerous propagation experts on this site, so hopefully they can chime in too. Hardwood cuttings are usually taken during dormancy, before any bud swelling. In fact most accounts I've read say late Fall to mid winter, though it varies by species.

In my case this year, I was chopping the tree anyways so I had nothing to lose by trying to root the cuttings. They were placed directly in moist, but not wet, potting soil and left outside to the elements (after last frost) in shade or dappled morning sun. It was probably late Feb - late June before it was clear which would make it and which wouldn't, so 4 months. In that time the key thing was not letting the first flush of leaves dry out.

On Amazon if you find "The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation" you can search inside the book without buying it. If you search for "Dawn Redwood" you'll find a section with more specific instructions. I'm not sure if it's considered ok to repost that here, but that book basically says take cuttings in late Dec/early Jan, leave in cold storage for a month, then treat with rooting hormone and place in a medium.

I've seen a few references in the past to allowing hardwood cuttings (and air layers) to dry out and callous a bit before putting in a moist medium. I'm curious if others here know the rationale and usefulness behind that.
It’s gotta create some stimulative effect. It’s weird and sounds backwards. I figured they would dry out rather then callous. But I guess if the branch is dormant it is a different story. I’m going to try taking cuttings this winter. I read in that book that success rates were high taking juniper cuttings in like late winter. My success rate was small last year I did it in fall.

I took some like that a few years ago and they developed a thick film of grey mold.

One of the layers growing. This is an interesting type of jm to me. It’s like a red and green maple mix. All the red maples I’ve seen have dark red purplish trunks but this one is green. And the foliage doesn’t have the same characteristics as red jm’s.
874C11E5-F4B8-4D1D-9BFF-07686276FE19.jpeg

The pods look very interesting, thinking of buying some off of amazon. I've only followed peter chan's youtube video. I used a plastic bag and sphagnum moss. For the rooting hormone, I'm trying out Clone x gel. It has worked with my neighbor flower cherry tree (made 2 air layers so far, both are a nice thick branch now trunk). Going to make 1 more as a gift for my mom.

The pods look very interesting, thinking of buying some off of amazon. I've only followed peter chan's youtube video. I used a plastic bag and sphagnum moss. For the rooting hormone, I'm trying out Clone x gel. It has worked with my neighbor flower cherry tree (made 2 air layers so far, both are a nice thick branch now trunk). Going to make 1 more as a gift for my mom.
didn't get a chance to post photos at the time

Attachments

• 20210827_175009.jpg
    20210827_175009.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210827_180824.jpg
    20210827_180824.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210606_095140.jpg
    20210606_095140.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 19
Check out Acer palmatum 'Sumi Nagashi' for red leaves and green bark
Interesting! When I look at photo’s online there are a lot that say sumo nagashi but differ. But some of those photo’s look just like it. The mother tree isn’t a grafted tree. It is in the backyard the last owners planted it. I know it air layers great! I like it! But even more because it’s free lol! We’ll see how well they look in plus years lol!

Back
Top Bottom