Adair’s bench at Boon’s

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As most of you know, I keep a few trees at Boon’s place in California. These trees usually make their way East at some point after I have had the chance to show them in California.

So, I took a little video on my iPhone walking down the bench and trying to capture a view of the trees. There’s a couple project trees not shown, they’re in big nursery containers over in another part of the garden. But this should give you an idea.

Some of the trees are ready to show, and done are still pretty rough. Most of them are JBP. That figures, right?

Enjoy!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that the New Place?

It must suck at points...to be So far away.
Though....they are not exactly with that friend who said they'd water!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If only there was a way to enjoy these wonderful trees in full majestic view on a broad screen TV.. ;)
What I'm trying to say is that widescreen filming would do these trees a lot of justice. You've worked long and hard on them and I think horizontal filming would show them in the best way possible.

Thanks for sharing Adair!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If only there was a way to enjoy these wonderful trees in full majestic view on a broad screen TV.. ;)
What I'm trying to say is that widescreen filming would do these trees a lot of justice. You've worked long and hard on them and I think horizontal filming would show them in the best way possible.

Thanks for sharing Adair!
I tried photographing them individually on the bench, and they don’t show up very well because of the background. The video allows for a pretty good image. I wasn’t trying to win an academy award when I took this video, I was doing this for myself, so that I can plan my next trip out.

Boon’s new workshop is in construction, and it will have a photographic studio for better pictures.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like you've added quite a few more to the bench since I was last out there... great material!
Just shifted stuff around... lol.

The olive left a huge hole, so I had to fill it with something!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll take a 3D video over a 2D photo anyday. Thanks-for-giving a peak

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful trees, Adair, thanks for sharing.

What’s the most special of these, to your heart, the most precious? And what’s its story?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As most of you know, I keep a few trees at Boon’s place in California. These trees usually make their way East at some point after I have had the chance to show them in California.

So, I took a little video on my iPhone walking down the bench and trying to capture a view of the trees. There’s a couple project trees not shown, they’re in big nursery containers over in another part of the garden. But this should give you an idea.

Some of the trees are ready to show, and done are still pretty rough. Most of them are JBP. That figures, right?

Enjoy!

Neat shots Adair, Boon is making great progress on the new property. That is a serious shade structure. I am looking forward to seeing the new place this winter. The exposed root pine on your bench, is that one of the trees developed by Jonas?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Neat shots Adair, Boon is making great progress on the new property. That is a serious shade structure. I am looking forward to seeing the new place this winter. The exposed root pine on your bench, is that one of the trees developed by Jonas?
Yes, indeed it is. It was started in the year 2000. He and Morten started theirs the same year. Morten sold all his about 10 years ago. This is one of the last ones Jonas had for sale. I bought it a couple years ago.

Boon says that at his new place, we will have to decandle later since it is so much warmer in the summer than his old place.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice! Are the first two trees we see rough bark tridents?
The first tree is a “brand new to me” crabapple. I’ll shorten it some.

The second tree is a “Minu Yatsabusa Trident Maple”. It’s rather rare. The middle lobe of the leaf is really long, as is the petiole. So, when in leaf, it has a “weeping willow” effect. The leaves turn beautiful colors of red, orange, and yellow in the fall. It’s a slow grower, for a trident. Doesn’t tend to send out long shoots, but rather puts out “sprays” of leaves from a single bud. Kinda like ginkgo trees sometimes do.

When it does that, that area tends to “bulge up”, and make a knob. So, the trunk has places with knobs, as do some of the branches where for several years it just put out “sprays” before it decided to finally send out a shoot. On the one hand, they’re kind of ugly, but then again, they’re unique to the cultivar, so the give the tree lots of character. Kind of like the chi-chis do for some ginkgo trees.

It’s planted in that oversized pot because it’s on a 2x8 board. It was screwed to the board two years ago to improve the nebari.

I purchased it from Boon, who purchased it from one of his students who had it in her garden for 20 years, but she didn’t really have enough sun for it. It had gotten weak and leggy. So, I’m rehabbing it. I don’t know where she had gotten it. Japan, probably.

I will repot it in January, and see how the nebari is progressing. I’m doing the Ebihara “screw to a board” technique with it. The real nebari is about two inches under the soil level.

It’s a project.

I have seen a couple others of this cultivar. They’re probably cuttings taken from this one. As you know, I’m primarily a pine guy. But I like deciduous trees, too. And, surprise, surprise, I occasionally actually own one! Lol!!!

Top Bottom