Acer Palmatum Deshojo Styling

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
This weekend was my first time at a bonsai exhibition, the Trophy, and I was completely overwhelmed by the impressions. I can’t handle all the stuf to buy and all the beautiful tries.
I decided to take my frist Acer Palmatum Deshojo with me.
Now I'm thinking all the time about how to work with the tree. Would you cut off the rather thick side shoot? Or do you leave it and try to develop it further and pull it down a little? My fear is that if I cut it off, the trunk will look quite long, straight and boring.
What would you do?

Attachments

• IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 148

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This weekend was my first time at a bonsai exhibition, the Trophy, and I was completely overwhelmed by the impressions. I can’t handle all the stuf to buy and all the beautiful tries.
I decided to take my frist Acer Palmatum Deshojo with me.
Now I'm thinking all the time about how to work with the tree. Would you cut off the rather thick side shoot? Or do you leave it and try to develop it further and pull it down a little? My fear is that if I cut it off, the trunk will look quite long, straight and boring.
What would you do?
Agreed with air layer in order to make the most of the material. Also in consideration of the current nebari as shown in the picture.
I would propose a double air layer to create three trees, two with better potential and one that would require a lot of work with the root structure. The left side air layer has the best potential, right side next and the lower portion the least in my view!
Overall could have two very nice trees and a promising one with extra work. An extra suggestion to think about.
Image 2024-02-19 at 2.57 PM.jpg

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
this weekend I had my first lesson at Werner Buschs Bonsaiwerkstatt. In this teaching I decided to go a complete different way. I always watch for the interesting technic of air layering. So I decided to try my best and this is the result.

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpeg
    IMG_1989.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 91

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the choices, showing promise. Nice timing for the pruning at the same time as the root work and repot. look forward to the air layer result. Love the pot choice, not your usual maintenance pot. But a nice size to continue development! Well done!

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Next time, tell Werner Jelle sais hello :)
Of course I will :)
Maybe we'll have a chat again sometime. At the trophy I could only say hey to you in passing near Werners stand ^^ it was probably just too busy for more

Top Bottom