Acer palmatum 'deshojo'

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
20171107_204405.jpg 20171107_204306.jpg 20171107_204313.jpg 20171107_113821.jpg 20171107_204202.jpg 20171107_204222.jpg 20171107_204250.jpg 20171107_204318.jpg 20171107_204134.jpg Hello guys.. wanted to share my newest aquisition!

Its currently sitting at 12 inches tall (about 30cm)

Im considering ground layering because I did not like that one major root flring out higer above than the others and one side (luckly the backside) has no flaring roots at all. I just slip potted on this blue glaze pot.. I think the tree will look better on a cream one
What do you guys think ?

Thanks!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aren't those new leaves delicious! The whole tree will be that color in spring.

You can suppress that one big root by cutting it back hard when you repot every spring.
I would do that rather than ground layer because there is a risk of loosing the whole tree with a ground layer. With a ground layer, the roots are no longer fed by the foliage. They live solely on stored carbohydrates. In my experience the roots can survive about 15 months, so if something goes wrong with making roots in the prior season, the entire tree dies shortly after putting out another spectacular set of leaves.

Anyway, nice tree!

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you considered repotting it at an angle, leaning to the left in the last picture? I think it would be more pleasing as a slant style.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree, the nebari is not bad at all, little bit asymmetrical but it works with trunk movement.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Nice tree. Probably needs some branch selection...
Oh yes !! I plan on defoliating in the summer and do branch selection and light wiring if thats possible.

Nice tree, the nebari is not bad at all, little bit asymmetrical but it works with trunk movement.
I'm still not sure on what to do with it! I'm even considering airlayering the top and make a small shohin out of it!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the new angle, you should post an update on this tree when the leaves fall so the top part can be seen too.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
I like the new angle, you should post an update on this tree when the leaves fall so the top part can be seen too.
I certainly will, Judy!

Is this your first Japanese Maple?
Actually this is my second one..! The first one is a Kotohime Japanese Maple (currently airlayering some branches I will not use in the design) but I wanted some bright red colors and they arent famous for its spring or fall colors so I've got this one!

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the trunkline; I'd work with what you have here as it is quite nice for a non-import deshojo.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Aren't those new leaves delicious! The whole tree will be that color in spring.

You can suppress that one big root by cutting it back hard when you repot every spring.
I would do that rather than ground layer because there is a risk of loosing the whole tree with a ground layer. With a ground layer, the roots are no longer fed by the foliage. They live solely on stored carbohydrates. In my experience the roots can survive about 15 months, so if something goes wrong with making roots in the prior season, the entire tree dies shortly after putting out another spectacular set of leaves.

Anyway, nice tree!

I forgot to reply to your message @0soyoung ! I will try to be more drastic on that root as you suggested... after the tilt in plating angle I'm considering more and more not groundlayering it.. maybe one or two root grafts its all it need! I will try to strike a few cutting on the next pruning session so I have some material to try grafting!

I like the trunkline; I'd work with what you have here as it is quite nice for a non-import deshojo.
Thank you!
Unfortunately it is forbidden to import tree's and other living things to Brazil so down here we only aspire what you guys have and in Europe and Japan..!

We're still on our diapers regarding bonsai but slowly improving !

Thanks!

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I forgot to reply to your message @0soyoung ! I will try to be more drastic on that root as you suggested... after the tilt in plating angle I'm considering more and more not groundlayering it.. maybe one or two root grafts its all it need! I will try to strike a few cutting on the next pruning session so I have some material to try grafting!

Thank you!
Unfortunately it is forbidden to import tree's and other living things to Brazil so down here we only aspire what you guys have and in Europe and Japan..!

We're still on our diapers regarding bonsai but slowly improving !

Thanks!

Hi Shun,
I am a newbie at this with nothing in Bonsai pots, but am trying a few different Jap Maples via cuttings/air-layers including Shin Deshojo, Chishio, Beni Hime, and Beni Kamachi. I am pretty confident you will get roots by both cuttings and airlayers from your Deshojo.
Have a look at my thread I started a few weeks back called “Springtime in Kiwiland” as maybe enjoyable look etc. My intentions are to air-layer most for smaller trees and trying to avoid the graft thing which B-nutters are famous for lol.

Sorry for bombing your thread.
Charles
P.S. you have a lovely tree and I forgot to say “great start”

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Hello kiwi!

I've never struck a cutting from a maple..
I'll try my luck

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Visiting my fiancé on the hot side of the Tropic of Cancer, every single shopping mall has Japanese maples, and they’re planted all over her school as well.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, but a little more tilt.
I will play around the tilt angle for sure but have to take in consideration the rootbase also.. will try my best!

Visiting my fiancé on the hot side of the Tropic of Cancer, every single shopping mall has Japanese maples, and they’re planted all over her school as well.
I cant wait for the next spring so I can see the show in red :)

Top Bottom