Acer Palmatum Deshojo - advice needed

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got my acer deshojo today. In length its about 55cm (22 inches). I certainly need to read about acers because I'm not sure when to prone it, watering, fertelization, etc.

I certainly don't like the fact that it doesn't have a designated apex, it splits in two. Also, the base of the truck had been cut and you can see the damage there.

But I have couple of questions:

1) I'd like to keep it short, which is certainly not right now - when is it most appropriately done?
2) The current soil is just muddy mess, not sure what the roots look like, but the soil I have and use for my other bonsais is 30% perlite, 40% zeolite and 30% vermiculite. Would that be okay with the acer?
3) Advice on styling?

Attachments

• IMG_5716.JPG
    IMG_5716.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5718.JPG
    IMG_5718.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5719.JPG
    IMG_5719.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 61

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd put in some good substrate or in the ground. Do some rootwork first and then let it grow for a couple of years...

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
the base of the truck had been cut and you can see the damage there.
That's not damage, that's the graft mark where the Deshojo was attached to the rootstock (which will be plain Acer palmatum). Be aware of that when reducing the height.

papymandarin

Shohin
Reaction score
and it's not a cut damaged trunk at the base, but a graft, not very nice and you will want to remove this (airlayering at some point) as it's quite ugly on a bonsai

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
and it's not a cut damaged trunk at the base, but a graft, not very nice and you will want to remove this (airlayering at some point) as it's quite ugly on a bonsai

It is ugly! What if I try cutting the entire plant right above that ugly point and try to grow new roots? Would that work? Also, it will shorter the distance between the first 2 branches, which is something that I want - short trunk

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, you could air layer above the graft. Deshojo are meant to be a difficult variety to air layer, but I have done it.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I use bonsai soil for my airlayers... Just keep it moist and you dont have to untangle the mess sphagnum Moss usually causes
Shun, you mean regular draining inorganic bonsai soil? How about the percentage of loss you have ? I'm really curious.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There are different opinions on the use of sphagnum moss: I use it, around the I bark remove, but only about 1 cm-2 cm. Then akadama, or another soil mix to fill in the pot/container. Non-organic soil is better if you can check the humidity, coarse sand with 5-10% of composted pine bark or peat works well.

The sphagnum moss keeps it moist, and when the roots start to form, the sand/pumice/pozzolane/akadama/whatever around, will be easy to remove when it's time to sever the layer.

Your tree is still small, there isn't wuch difference between the trunk and the branches so I would try to air-layer both branches. If they fail -but to me, there's a good chance they'll succed, then you'll still have the lower part that will backbud.

My two Lev's worth...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've heard Sango-kaku is difficult to air-layer, never done it. Not Deshojo, done two successful Deshojo A-ls so I think they are easy to propagate this way. Inorganic substrate as rooting medium in an open plastic pot, watered daily with my trees, new trees separated in summer same season. BTW most of Deshojo maples here are not grafted, it says something...

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don’t know what it says but I certainly didn’t expect to see that it’s been grafted

evanjt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used a pot and some vermiculite to air layer one of my maples

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have used a pot and some vermiculite to air layer one of my maples

That's what I did by the way! I've added a little bit of zeolite and perlite too

Top Bottom