Acer katsura...layer or carve?

WOW....Thank you everybody for the response.
I decided to carve it...I need the practice and nothing like a high pressure situation, I think....which this has become for me. I don't think the carve is a show stopper, but its certainly different...and I love natural uniqueness. I hope this will develop into something worth the while going forward.
If the carve plan don't work out....I can always layer it later. Meanwhile i'll continue developing the tree. I have two bottom branches to thicken the trunk beneath the round scar...to even out the inverse taper.
I can live with the inverse taper at the carve area....I actually like its uniqueness.
Anyway...Here it is now... 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 525043View attachment 525044
The tree is strong and rolls over exceptionally well. I'll leave it (won't seal the carving now) until next year to weather some. Maybe do some more detail carving then.
I'm very interested to know what you think plz....?
looks great. very unique

I like the carving job, but I would also suggest sealing the edges of the Carving work to protect the cambium there. Unless you’re looking to have a rotted appearance at the soil line, that degree of carving will likely lead to more die back than you’re expecting…? I like to control the perimeter of my carving features as much as possible. Definitely a fun and cool project tree :).
Thank you for helping me on. I'm usually pedantic about sealing edges. For some reason I was in two minds to seal this one.
But I did go and recut all the edges and sealed properly.

Back
Top Bottom