Acer katsura...layer or carve?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll give you the whole back story...
I bought this tree some years ago and planted it in the garden. After a year I removed it as the wind here is way to destructive for its delicate leaves.
I trimmed the roots and put it in a container. I didn't really know what to do with it...TBH.
Here it is in the container then.
Screenshot_20200718-120818~2.jpg
About 2 years later I decided to chop it and see how it grows
IMG_20200718_120246.jpg
I can't for the life of me remember what I did after this, but I had a habit of putting trees in containers...drill it full of holes and recess it in the grow bed. I must've done it with this one to.
Anyway, coming up is the latest photos of it now. It has put on some decent growth and started rolling over well. Since last winter I had the plan of air layering it at the top of the roll over...marked with a black line....its a bit faint now.
Now i'm in two minds whether to layer...and make a new tree from the top....or develop it as is, by carving the bottom and work the branches. I'm not exactly sure about how much to carve...the bulge kinda worries me. Not sure if it'll work. Also the nebari isn't that good. A tree of this size should have some flare...I recon.
IMG_20240120_195242.jpg

IMG_20240120_200232.jpg
IMG_20240120_200205.jpg

I would really like to hear your opinions plz. The time to layer is now
Thank you.

If it were mine I'd air layer right above the big chop. The katsura cultivar layers easily and you'll get a nice nebari from the layer. That first cut is so big that even if it eventually heals over, it's always going to dominate the tree visually, either when seen directly or from the reverse taper it's causing in most of the other angles. And while carving could help with that, it's not a stylistically common approach for maples.

The second cut above it is also causing some reverse taper, but if you layer below that and keep those lowest sacrifice branches for a few years that problem will go away.

I would hold off on the layer until I could repot it and get a look at the roots. If they look half manageable I'd work it as is for a couple of years. Try to close the wound and thread graft some lower branches. If the roots cooperate I think you can fix or hide the inverse taper easily enough, of course maybe it looks worse in person?

Honestly...this image doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm not into perfection though. I'm more in the lines if flaws are a huge distraction or not. I'm not bothered in the slightest. As if this was a front.

I don't know what you intend by carving. So can't add anything there.

I don't believe in a tree without flaws. There I said it. It's more in lines of if the flaw bothers you... it's on the outside of a curve. In my minds eye. It only enhances a curve in the right direction. But again... it's me...so consider the source. I would continue to heal the scar...and that would be my goal. Develop the tree and call it done. It's way nicer than the telephone pole you began with. So the chop was beneficial. IMG_20240120_195316.jpg

You've got two challenges with this tree. The first is the big chop scar, and the fact that it is larger that it appears to be because dead bark is hiding just how far down the scar runs. Second, you have the large scar lower down, which suggests that all roots on that side could well be dead, and deadwood touching the soil on Japanese maples introduces a major risk of fungus getting into the interior of the tree. The small strip of live bark between those sections could easily die back, and leave you with the entire side of the tree being dead.

I would absolutely layer this tree, because I don't think the base is worth trying to save - and if you aren't careful the entire tree could crash on you.

deadwood-maple.jpg

You've got two challenges with this tree. The first is the big chop scar, and the fact that it is larger that it appears to be because dead bark is hiding just how far down the scar runs. Second, you have the large scar lower down, which suggests that all roots on that side could well be dead, and deadwood touching the soil on Japanese maples introduces a major risk of fungus getting into the interior of the tree. The small strip of live bark between those sections could easily die back, and leave you with the entire side of the tree being dead.

I would absolutely layer this tree, because I don't think the base is worth trying to save - and if you aren't careful the entire tree could crash on you

No disrespect...truly... but I pause at my own Japanese maple...and the hollow barely there trunk.

I pause then on Bonsaisteve 's rotted out maple trunk he's had for years...and scratch my head. I'm sorry...but...I scratch my head. The tree is doing amazing by how it compartmentalized and chose to live on.

I agree deadwood on maples is amazing. Even if it won’t last I would go that route and you can always air layer in the future. I think there are lots of “perfect” maples and not enough unique ones.
I'll take character over cookie cutter ..and Bonsaisteve 's maple shows me...it will last long enough for me to enjoy mine. I'm all about deadwood on deciduous if the story is there. I'm no longer bound to the old mentality I once had. Stumbling into a group from across the pond. Opened my eyes to possibilities I never would have imaged for my bench.

I'll treat with wood hardener as he does...and I'll count my blessings I've such unique character on my bench. 😉🙂

No disrespect...truly... but I pause at my own Japanese maple...and the hollow barely there trunk.
I think we might be having two different conversations - whether deadwood on a maple is ok (yes) and whether the scar on THIS maple adds to the design or represents a liability to the future development of the tree. In my opinion it holds the tree back, but we can agree to disagree :) Aside from the health aspects, it makes the tree look small and young... like a sapling that had just been trunk chopped :)

I think we might be having two different conversations - whether deadwood on a maple is ok (yes) and whether the scar on THIS maple adds to the design or represents a liability to the future development of the tree. In my opinion it holds the tree back, but we can agree to disagree :) Aside from the health aspects, it makes the tree look small and young... like a sapling that had just been trunk chopped :)
No... we will disagree and not on his tree in general. I told the one to heal the scar.

My comment was showing two Japanese Maples that clearly compartmentalized and are fine. With all being low at the roots. I pause on the statement of health. Because I've got examples...and am a literal thinker.

I can't help think...that the USA is so against deciduous having scars. That there may...be some myths that tie into that mentality. I just know...of trees that break that myth...clearly showing they are fine. All Japanese maples. That said...we'll draw a line under it...because we both believe what we will.

Let us take look at a third...

WOW....Thank you everybody for the response.
I decided to carve it...I need the practice and nothing like a high pressure situation, I think....which this has become for me. I don't think the carve is a show stopper, but its certainly different...and I love natural uniqueness. I hope this will develop into something worth the while going forward.
If the carve plan don't work out....I can always layer it later. Meanwhile i'll continue developing the tree. I have two bottom branches to thicken the trunk beneath the round scar...to even out the inverse taper.
I can live with the inverse taper at the carve area....I actually like its uniqueness.
Anyway...Here it is now... 🤷‍♂️
IMG_20240121_153548.jpgIMG_20240121_153724.jpg
The tree is strong and rolls over exceptionally well. I'll leave it (won't seal the carving now) until next year to weather some. Maybe do some more detail carving then.
I'm very interested to know what you think plz....?

The 2 "shoulders" are a bit over pronounced and "pointy" I think...but i'll leave it like that for now. I can always work it again later. I'm in no hurry. My biggest "concern" is the roots...but that'll have to wait till next spring.
IMG_20240121_153700~2.jpg

Really like this particolar Maple, I can understand that maybe It could be not usual or someone could find "out of rules" that trunk, but my eyes are pleased by that imperfection. Clearly it' only my opinion. Maybe I would work a little bit more on carving It to mask the inverse taper .....

WOW....Thank you everybody for the response.
I decided to carve it...I need the practice and nothing like a high pressure situation, I think....which this has become for me. I don't think the carve is a show stopper, but its certainly different...and I love natural uniqueness. I hope this will develop into something worth the while going forward.
If the carve plan don't work out....I can always layer it later. Meanwhile i'll continue developing the tree. I have two bottom branches to thicken the trunk beneath the round scar...to even out the inverse taper.
I can live with the inverse taper at the carve area....I actually like its uniqueness.
Anyway...Here it is now... 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 525043View attachment 525044
The tree is strong and rolls over exceptionally well. I'll leave it (won't seal the carving now) until next year to weather some. Maybe do some more detail carving then.
I'm very interested to know what you think plz....?
I absolutely love it.

I would never personally tell one to carve their tree. That's a personal decision I think the owner needs to boldly take.

You've taken a meh tree and elevated it that's my take. It reminds me of my base on mine to a degree.

Beat of luck there. And...I grinned big at your bold step. I do love it!

I like the carving job, but I would also suggest sealing the edges of the Carving work to protect the cambium there. Unless you’re looking to have a rotted appearance at the soil line, that degree of carving will likely lead to more die back than you’re expecting…? I like to control the perimeter of my carving features as much as possible. Definitely a fun and cool project tree :).

I like the carving job, but I would also suggest sealing the edges of the Carving work to protect the cambium there. Unless you’re looking to have a rotted appearance at the soil line, that degree of carving will likely lead to more die back than you’re expecting…? I like to control the perimeter of my carving features as much as possible. Definitely a fun and cool project tree :).
Good points there my friend.

Back
Top Bottom