A True Bonsai Tree...

Let's just say the initial premise that no bonsai is really an authentic bonsai, unless it was made by a "master" over 500 years ago, is simplistic, westernized romantic crappola. It's also a straw man argument.

Renaissance paintings can't be duplicated because they are a product of a specific time and place (Italy for the most part). WWII era Hurricanes and Spitfires can't be recreated for the same reasons--except the Italian part. The "authenticity" is beside the point and seeking such validation for new work is futile and kinda stupid.

That time and place isn't necessary to paint, build aircraft. Thinking it so limits what's possible. Some of the techniques and practices learned by humans in both instances have transferred to future artists/builders. Painting is still painting--aircraft building is still building aircraft...both have evolved, but they're still what they are. Adding some romantic pinnacle of achievement for either is silly and is pretty much saying "why bother? The best has already been done" Stupid...

Without the Renaissance, Western art wouldn't have evolved as it has. The impressionists, expressionists, etc. were still painters, as are millions of amateur and professional artists all over the world. Painting is painting. Art relies on creativity, not rote adherence to strict parameters for "authenticity." FWIW, I keep linking the article that pretty much says bonsai, as we and Japan know it now, is less than 150 years old. It SPECIFICALLY avoided being tied into Japan's Iemoto--traditional art/crafts --system.

To anyone still following this Thread and Subject I want to say......

The point of my OP was to verbally illustrate the difference between Sticks in a Pot versus Bonsai created by The Serious Bonsai Gardeners of yesteryear....

Guess I got a little carried away with that OP.

After reading the informative Post's here by Smoke and a few others I have come to the Conclusion that Bonsai as a Generality is Alive and Well World Wide, even the Sticks in a Pot...

No more Bonsai Look Alikes !

Now I fully anticipate a New Flaming Discussion based on this Post so lets hear it folks....
You get your meds refilled?

Who in the Hell is Beloro

ahhhman.....not again

Then that's your problem. I may not agree with almost most of what Beloro says I still care about him, it is important to me.
Thanks Vance, it's VIP to me that you care... I consider you a BNut friend and I have learned a lot from you and your Naturalistic approach to SMP Mugo.

Vance's imitation of Biden....and BTW Smoke do you still have any of those Tie Die Tees that were so popular back in the Day ???
Sharp as a tack, Good to have you back. No, never did the tie dye thing. Never was a hippy, never smoked pot, never did drugs, and like you a die hard conservative, always.

Stay with us this time!!!

Sharp as a tack, Good to have you back. No, never did the tie dye thing. Never was a hippy, never smoked pot, never did drugs, and like you a die hard conservative, always.

Stay with us this time!!!

WOW...Thank you for the Welcome Back, Appreciated.....However my Visualization of you as a Hippy is unfortunately now gone and I will have to conjure up a new Visualization, maybe you were a Harley Biker Guy running those LA streets, I spent a couple year's there one month back in 64...Pasadena, ElMonte, San Gabriel, Costa Mesa, LA.......

Who in the Hell is Beloro

ahhhman.....not again

A couple things to look at...My double Trunk Trident that I chopped in the Spring, I'm afraid to dig it out because the Roots are so deep into the soil, been there 4 years.....
also some Left Over Juniper Procumbens that are sharing a Tray-Pot with 3 Chinese Scholars all decked out in their Red Robes...P8160044.JPGP8160042.JPG

Water the trident well, and in the right time of the year stick a shovel in at about 75 degrees and with one thrust pop that bugger out. It's not as deep as you think. Pot it up.

Tang Dynasty
From “618 to 907”, official and academic dressing consisted of “panling lanshan”. This was a “long, red, round-collar robe with long sleeves”. Such an outfit was worn with “putout, which had a “curved brocade brim”. Tang Dynasty lead a standard of official and academic uniforms for the periods after Tang Dynasty.

Tang Dynasty
From “618 to 907”, official and academic dressing consisted of “panling lanshan”. This was a “long, red, round-collar robe with long sleeves”. Such an outfit was worn with “putout, which had a “curved brocade brim”. Tang Dynasty lead a standard of official and academic uniforms for the periods after Tang Dynasty.

What is the Bonsai Relavance of this Post???
Back to Dickeys this afternoon I see you have 2 in Fresno, are you a regular ?

What is the Bonsai Relavance of this Post???

No bonsai relevance at all. About as much as you putting the nik nacs in your planting. THE relevance is for anyone interested, the robes color had to do with the dynasty which was unique for the period. That is all.

Back to Dickeys this afternoon I see you have 2 in Fresno, are you a regular ?

Dicky's is to BBQ what Taco Bell is to Mexican food......been there once in my life and found it too expensive for what you got, much like Five Guys.....

No bonsai relevance at all. About as much as you putting the nik nacs in your planting. THE relevance is for anyone interested, the robes color had to do with the dynasty which was unique for the period. That is all.

Dicky's is to BBQ what Taco Bell is to Mexican food......been there once in my life and found it too expensive for what you got, much like Five Guys.....

It just dawned on me re your Taco Bell-Dickeys analogy....Bonsai is to Dwarf Trees as Fairy Gardens are to Gardening...

Putting Mud Men in my Landscapes is converting them to Penjing Look Alikes ...
Tang Dynasty

I used to have a Chinese Emporer's Robe, Deep Blue with 5 Clawed Dragons, Waves & Symbolics...Discovered it was a Court Functionary for Waterways....Sold it to a Chinese Scholar here in Detroit"s Chinatown....

It just dawned on me re your Taco Bell-Dickeys analogy....Bonsai is to Dwarf Trees as Fairy Gardens are to Gardening...

I used to have a Chinese Emporer's Robe, Deep Blue with 5 Clawed Dragons, Waves & Symbolics...Discovered it was a Court lesser
uh oh..... ran out of pills again.

I used to have a Chinese Emporer's Robe, Deep Blue with 5 Clawed Dragons, Waves & Symbolics...Discovered it was a Court lesser
Did it say "WARD" on the back?

I used to have a Chinese Emporer's Robe, Deep Blue with 5 Clawed Dragons, Waves & Symbolics...Discovered it was a Court Functionary for Waterways....Sold it to a Chinese Scholar here in Detroit"s Chinatown....
No, it just makes them look tacky.

Back
Top Bottom