Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking good!
Is it still too cold out for this one?

Thanks!

Just repotted today...two in the house sick. So I just don't want to forget to pull it in at night with a microclimate...I am allowing everything else out...but, not recently repotted items. Just in case it gets a tad colder and I forget them.

Will thin it tomorrow...just to darn tired from lack of sleep. I finally kicked the husband to the recliner last night over his coughing. Short lived he could not put up with Larry's snoring...was back way to soon. ?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is just something wrong with this whole composition shape. The pot, the trunk, and the shape of the canopy. Is there a restyle in the future of this tree or are you just going with the way you bought it?

Maybe too wide for the height?
Pierneef and Neagari do not belong together?

Your ideas for the future.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the pot and I like the tree. Just not sure they compliment each other. I would pick a "look" and dress for that. Picking a pot that tries to match the blossom color kind of goes in the wrong direction. One should compliment the blossoms rather than match the blossoms. If the look is more geared towards admiring the tree without blossoms the other 11 months then this color works well with the leaves....not so much with the flowers.

A pot for the flowers would be in the green towards blue color range. Greenish tourquoise. Use the color wheel like this.

squared.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why do you need to remove the blooms before they're spent?
Beautiful tree!

Leaving them on to long can hinder next year's blooms. And though they look lush...many are starting to fall off. So time to do it. You shouldn't allow them to fall off...but prune when they begin. What Scott Lee told me. I purchased the tree from him. ? My husband is still having a hard time with my doing it.

Fresh air...cooler night temps...but not dangerously so. Had me pulling it out to trim back...which my husband struggles with anything pruned. Lol his face when he seen a pile of cuttings I removed. (Headed to the compost)
image.jpg

Before the haircut...
image.jpg

And after...much needed. I may still go in and thin it some more.
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As for the pot...I LOVE IT!

Why? A number of reasons...
Because it's not what most would choose...I love I can glance at it and recall the slight difference in the glaze is bang on with shade color in the bloom.

Because...Vic envissioned this pot and as having a friend who is a potter. ( @sorce ) The joy of seeing his hard labor of love paired with the tree he designed it for. Makes my heart swell.

The texture is reminiscent of the texture found in the neagari...not ususally paired with such a pot...BUT...strikingly so, really looks great out of bloom. What I like most is the uniqueness. Not going to find another pot like it anywhere else! ?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Goodness...my husband is still going on that I removed the blooms...he could never do bonsai. He is also commenting on I cut so much off. Love him...he loves the pot too. ? all my Erin Pottery pots get commented on. His glaze is stunning in person.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love it Darlene. But yes in moving forward and improving, old sour puss is right :p

The misses said I was muttering "fibonichi" in my sleep the other night.. can't be healthy..

Thanks...

Going to have to google that one...fibonichi. no clue what that is.
Edit: Totally clueless to this comment and bonsai. Lol googled it.

Old sour puss...oh the hubs isn't that bad! assuming that was your meaning.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m with Al on the color part of the pot, but I think it’s also a bit clunky for the exposed root style. I want to see something precarious, just enough that it’s not falling over to sell the style. You could have enjoyed the blooms a bit longer too without compromising the health. It was a really nice show this year!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m with Al on the color part of the pot, but I think it’s also a bit clunky for the exposed root style. I want to see something precarious, just enough that it’s not falling over to sell the style. You could have enjoyed the blooms a bit longer too without compromising the health. It was a really nice show this year!
Color of the pot? The blooms were coral pink...with darker splashes inside. So your color choice would be? What color?

Pot size I went with what Scott told me for health. I doubt I will ever have it in something as you describe...this fits health and your vision though lovely is more of what ones slip them into for showing. Now with my not showing, health is first. I can see maybe finding another pot in time. But honestly...I will see it when I come across it. For now...its healthy and repotted. And...I like it. Because Victor got to see it with the tree blooming. Which was his vision.

Blooms...a few were falling off. So...eh~gone. Short lived blooms are life. Maybe next year I will just pull the ends off as they fall. Because the hubs still is fumming they are gone.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Color of the pot? The blooms were coral pink...with darker splashes inside. So your color choice would be? What color?

Pot size I went with what Scott told me for health. I doubt I will ever have it in something as you describe...this fits health and your vision though lovely is more of what ones slip them into for showing. Now with my not showing, health is first. I can see maybe finding another pot in time. But honestly...I will see it when I come across it. For now...its healthy and repotted. And...I like it. Because Victor got to see it with the tree blooming. Which was his vision.

Blooms...a few were falling off. So...eh~gone. Short lived blooms are life. Maybe next year I will just pull the ends off as they fall. Because the hubs still is fumming they are gone.
Great, carry on then.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene,

I encourage you to google “exposed root azalea bonsai”, then click the images tab. And scroll thru the pictures.

I think you will notice that none of the pictures have the pot color come anywhere close to the flower color. Except white.

Moreover, almost all the pots are rather elegant and/or refined. This is purposefully done in order to contrast the rustic roots against the “background” of a more elegant pot.

It doesn’t matter if you’re showing or not showing, using some basic art techniques as Smoke’s color wheel has merit.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great, carry on then.
Darlene,

I encourage you to google “exposed root azalea bonsai”, then click the images tab. And scroll thru the pictures.

I think you will notice that none of the pictures have the pot color come anywhere close to the flower color. Except white.

Moreover, almost all the pots are rather elegant and/or refined. This is purposefully done in order to contrast the rustic roots against the “background” of a more elegant pot.

It doesn’t matter if you’re showing or not showing, using some basic art techniques as Smoke’s color wheel has merit.

All one can do is help lead them along but at times the tail wagging the dog is fun....I get it. Just remember that "showing" it is done at this site also. Even for fun I'm gonna call out things that are done inappropriately. That way the forum that is interested in learning can do it the right way.

Top Bottom