How long are Japanese maple seeds viable for if dried ((F. W. Schumacher and Sheffield's seed: for example list some as old as 2007 (dry ))

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not the expert here, having only successfully germinated about 400 Acer palmatum from seed. And of course seed source is very relevant. In self collected fresh seed planted in the fall in outside seed beds I get pretty close to 100% germination. Those stratified and started inside are not far behind this ( maybe 80%+) but the seeds planted outside in seed beds far outgrow those started inside even though the inside seeds had a good start. As to dry seed, I have planted about 600 and had about 70 or 80 germinate, or just a shade over 10%. I suspect the seed source was not the best, but that has been my experience.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Hot out of the tap… think shower hot
Thanks, do I keep the water continuously that temp or just start hot and lwt it cool over 24 hour soak. Sorry ik might seem daft to ask but just making sure .

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, do I keep the water continuously that temp or just start hot and lwt it cool over 24 hour soak. Sorry ik might seem daft to ask but just making sure .
I literally just take a pint glass out of the cabinet, fill it up with hot water out of the tap, then add the seeds and put it down on the counter until the following day.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Thanks that makes alot more clear for me . Ik at times I can over think things to point of making them alot harder then need or should be. Read neat article where people had used gibberellic acid (Ga3) I think to hasten and help long stratification species like some passiflora seeds to sprout in weeks versus mo ths or years. Im just happy to do as sheffield's recommends and all . I'll keep everyone posted if like . I did pick up 3 packs that were listed as dry but harvested as 2023 as a memeber above mentioned and will hopefully have some by spring to sow and then the older seed dated ones will have the 90 to 120 day warm stratification then 90 to 120 cold stratification process so makes that late summer fall then for those .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
These are crops from 2023.. they are dried and not green or "fresh". But I'd still consider these to have high viability and germination rates. I've had good success with dried seeds as long as long as they are from the current year.

Thanks I picked 1 packet each those and will hopefully see how these 2023 versus other older collected go ik both have different stratification time ranges so ill keep everyone posted if like. I didnt realize the search I could list the year harvested which is nice feature indeed .

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks I picked 1 packet each those and will hopefully see how these 2023 versus other older collected go ik both have different stratification time ranges so ill keep everyone posted if like. I didnt realize the search I could list the year harvested which is nice feature indeed .
one arakawa sprouted right away for me. For those they say to warm and then cold stratify and I already missed that window according to my regions growing season so I just simply soaked them in warm water and sowed them. Same source as the link you posted

Attachments

• IMG_8919.jpeg
    IMG_8919.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
one arakawa sprouted right away for me. For those they say to warm and then cold stratify and I already missed that window according to my regions growing season so I just simply soaked them in warm water and sowed them. Same source as the link you posted
Very nice . Gives me some hope , thanks for sharing

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
While I know nothing about Japanese maples, everything I’ve ever received from Sheffield’s has done very well.
Yea I know thethey are reputable. So I am excited to see how things go . So far I have soaked them amd stratification has begon. Exciting.

Top Bottom