A couple of new one's from Don Blackmond, last one's for the year.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was hoping to get the OP to see what he is working are trees that need some refinement, despite their ownership and past history and his first impression.

I though I had been pretty non-confrontational, offering my experiences with oak bonsai and other stuff.

The main point I was trying to get across was that the stuff he has is nice but it's not untouchable as far as design and work. All of the trees he's posted need some, just lie everyone else's trees do. The thing is, they need specialized attention.

And as for the "win the lottery" quality he thinks is so rare...any one of the almost 400 trees at the Kennett Exhibition sale were equal or superior to what he has and about 400 people went home with one. Every tree in that sale was from a "name" US bonsai artist or a pretty great import from Japan.
https://capitalbonsai.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/kennett-collection-sale/

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
any one of the almost 400 trees at the Kennett Exhibition sale were equal or superior
I disagree to the extent you mean all of them. There were a lot of trees equal or better, but there were a lot that were not.
No doubt, you don't need to win the lottery to buy or own trees like the ones abqjoe posted.
This is a weird thread, top to bottom. Polarity magnified.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again, I am so relieved that he's not wasting his time on 'poor material'.
"Poor material" is really only poor if you don't learn something from it. Lowes/Home Depot stock could be invaluable if used the right way. On the other hand, even higher quality material (like the trees in this thread) could turn out to be "poor material" if the owner cant/won't/doesn't learn from them.

Of course, if one is simply interested in acquiring nicer/more advanced trees and having someone else maintain them, then it doesn't matter since little or no learning is needed. I don't know if that is the case here.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I believe Oso is being sarcastic.

BNUT tends to tell beginners that their trees are crap and people need to learn with better material.

Now someone has come along as a beginner and acquired a lot of advanced material. The community is now telling this individual to slow down and learn the basics.

Having your cake and eating it too??

vicn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I remember all the flame wars in the old bonsai forums.....from them I learned that a thick skin is necessary to advance from beginner. Try to assume that all posts are trying to help improve your trees.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe Oso is being sarcastic.
Maybe...can be hard to tell sometimes!
Try to assume that all posts are trying to help improve your trees.
Don't have to assume, they were. I think people get excited when they see more advanced trees, as opposed to the standard beginner stick-in-a-pot.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
And as for the "win the lottery" quality he thinks is so rare...any one of the almost 400 trees at the Kennett Exhibition sale were equal or superior to what he has and about 400 people went home with one. Every tree in that sale was from a "name" US bonsai artist or a pretty great import from Japan.
https://capitalbonsai.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/kennett-collection-sale/

I don't think the Kennett sale should ever be compared to the normal north american market. Something like that will probably never happen again. Peter Warren said right before the door opened, (I paraphrase): "Many of these trees are the price of the pot they sit in. Many could theoretically be brought back to Japan and sold at a profit".

Plus, you kind of did have to win a lottery to get a tree at the Kennett sale :) (the wristband entry system).

vicn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Don't have to assume, they were. I think people get excited when they see more advanced trees, as opposed to the standard beginner stick-in-a-pot.

You and I know they were trying to help, but I think the OP hasn't learned this yet....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I disagree to the extent you mean all of them. There were a lot of trees equal or better, but there were a lot that were not.
No doubt, you don't need to win the lottery to buy or own trees like the ones abqjoe posted.
This is a weird thread, top to bottom. Polarity magnified.
Oh, I agree, but still 400 is still a big number of better than average to excellent material that went out to hundreds of buyers. Puts one tree with history into perspective, as I would think at least half of the better stuff had notable previous owners.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Indeed.

When someone posts material with actual potential, it gets my attention. While I try to help everyone one, I have found that the people who most need guidance are the newbies who buy expensive trees as their first trees!

Sadly, they are often the least appreciative and receptive of others giving advice. As if the ability to buy expensive stock also gives them instant expertise that has taken the rest of us decades to aquire.

In one of his most recent posts he states that he posted his trees to share them with the community. Not get advice. In an earlier post he stated he was not a prideful man. Well, it can be interpreted that "sharing them" is a form of showing them off. A form of pride. There's nothing wrong with a bit of pride. As long as it doesn't blind you.

I show my trees on this forum. Yes, I'm proud of them. I also use them as something of a proof of competence. I do give a lot of advice on this forum, so I feel obligated to show evidence that I am reasonably competent. When I first started posting here, I was reluctant to post pictures of my trees as I didn't want to be accused of "showing off". So, I didn't. And because the community didn't see my tress, they couldn't tell whether I was for real, or just blowing smoke.

So what I try to do now, is use my trees to illustrate whatever technique we're discussing if I have something appropriate as I did with the guy wiring post in this thread.

By the way, I will be at the National Show in a couple weeks. I'm showing the tree that's my avatar. Please stop by, I'd like to meet all the faceless friends on this site in person. And, I'm going to be bring a shohin display that I'm sure will be a hot topic of discussion! Lol!!! (Traditional but avant garde!)

Hope to see you there!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way, I will be at the National Show in a couple weeks. I'm showing the tree that's my avatar. Please stop by, I'd like to meet all the faceless friends on this site in person. And, I'm going to be bring a shohin display that I'm sure will be a hot topic of discussion! Lol!!! (Traditional but avant garde!)

Hope to see you there!

I'll most likely be there the whole weekend (though not early, I'm not a morning person), perhaps helping with the photography studio or something else...not sure yet. Will definitely look for you and some of the other nuts.

BTW, I do hope your tree has at least one guy wire on it. If not, maybe we can add one?! After the photography, of course!

In one of his most recent posts he states that he posted his trees to share them with the community. Not get advice. In an earlier post he stated he was not a prideful man. Well, it can be interpreted that "sharing them" is a form of showing them off. A form of pride. There's nothing wrong with a bit of pride. As long as it doesn't blind you.
Eh, he's kind of a walking contradiction, at least based on what he's posted here so far... rather quick to get riled and attack for someone who is not prideful.

Whatever, it can be hard to read people on forums...and most of us have gotten riled and had a few scraps along the way.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the price of the pot they sit in.

I was at Bonsai West when Michael pulled in with a U-Haul, (I used to be a gym-rat, then turned into a BWest rat), the containers are exactly how it was paraphrased! One of the fellas' there said he didn't know what to worry about more!!!

Obviously the trees are just as nice.......mmm, think I'll go down there Friday and sniff around....
_apocalypse now bgt.gif

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think the Kennett sale should ever be compared to the normal north american market. Something like that will probably never happen again. Peter Warren said right before the door opened, (I paraphrase): "Many of these trees are the price of the pot they sit in. Many could theoretically be brought back to Japan and sold at a profit".

Plus, you kind of did have to win a lottery to get a tree at the Kennett sale :) (the wristband entry system).
Happens more than once. The National Arboretum has had surplus sales of its excess stock over the years. The BCI international shows are also a source of excellent material as are shows like the National coming up. Point is, buying an advanced or older bonsai that's got a notable artist behind it in it's past isn't really all that unique. Great to have, but not rare.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll most likely be there the whole weekend (though not early, I'm not a morning person), perhaps helping with the photography studio or something else...not sure yet. Will definitely look for you and some of the other nuts.

BTW, I do hope your tree has at least one guy wire on it. If not, maybe we can add one?! After the photography, of course!

Eh, he's kind of a walking contradiction, at least based on what he's posted here so far... rather quick to get riled and attack for someone who is not prideful.

Whatever, it can be hard to read people on forums...and most of us have gotten riled and had a few scraps along the way.
Sorry to disappoint you, no guy wires on Show trees!

There is plenty of copper on my JBP!

Top Bottom