A couple of new one's from Don Blackmond, last one's for the year.

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Is there a chance that you are indeed blind to your pride? And following that which you've stated you are perhaps quickly destroying relationships that may help you? I understand people can be pretty frank on here and sometimes it's hard to not get upset. One thing I've learned is how incredibly small the bonsai community is, and thereby how easy it would be to be excommunicated. Often, even if you don't like someone, there is much they could teach you. You do appear to be displaying signs of pride in your trees, pride that perhaps rubs people especially the wrong way because you have simply purchased or traded for them. Your definitely in the deep end with your material and it's good to have as many friends as possible. And as was stated by someone before, if you are so free of pride why not apologize? The only thing it will hurt to apologize is your pride.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My question is: How come I can see this thread. I didn't think threads from people on my ignorant list should show up on my screen.
Not that the discussion is spirited but you guys aren't going to help this guy. He doesn't want it.
Whaa? really? nothing wrong with someone being reticent to doing things a bit too fast for their comfort level....

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Is there a chance that you are indeed blind to your pride? And following that which you've stated you are perhaps quickly destroying relationships that may help you? I understand people can be pretty frank on here and sometimes it's hard to not get upset. One thing I've learned is how incredibly small the bonsai community is, and thereby how easy it would be to be excommunicated. Often, even if you don't like someone, there is much they could teach you. You do appear to be displaying signs of pride in your trees, pride that perhaps rubs people especially the wrong way because you have simply purchased or traded for them. Your definitely in the deep end with your material and it's good to have as many friends as possible. And as was stated by someone before, if you are so free of pride why not apologize? The only thing it will hurt to apologize is your pride.

LOL! Your tunnel vision and desire to run with the crowd is destroying your ability to see things from both sides for what it really is! First off, as far as destroying relationships goes, well, some people on this forum I don't care to really know at all because of their forceful, disrespectful, and know it all attitudes! No one on this forum has Bonsai on lock down as the only all knowing master of the the Bonsai universe that ever existed! There are many enthusiasts on this planet with great deals of knowledge on this subject. If someone like JudyB comes at me with helpful advice in the respectful way that she does then great, that's how I like to be spoken to. But, there have been many in this thread that were just down right rude, forceful, and disrespectful with their comments and that my little buddy I am not going to tolerate from anyone! They must have mistook me for the new guy that just curls up in a ball and let's everyone kick him when he's down lol, WRONG GUY! As far as apologizing goes, not gonna happen! I didn't throw any of the first punches plus if someone doesn't like me they can just put me on their little "Ignore" list and stay away from me and my threads. I am however looking forward to building relationships here with a few people who do actually know how to communicate with me in a way that I'm cool with. But, on this forum as in life, quality relationships will be few and far between!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Mike, I don't know how you're seeing this if you have him on ignore...

Doesn't matter.

I think Joe has his eyes opened now. Let's be fair. He's new to bonsai, wants to have nice trees, can afford to spend a little money ( or barter ), and gets some nice trees with potential, but have been neglected for a while.

Then someone like me comes along and suggests thing he could do (should do) to improve his trees. Thing is, Joe, being new to bonsai, didn't see the issues. So, he's taken aback, and gets defensive! Perfectly natural reaction. I don't blame him.

A little time passes, and he cools down. Does a little research. And, like and behold, he begins to see some of what we were talking about makes sense. He's probably not happy about it, but I think now he's beginning to listen.

It's all part of the learning experience.

I think the same thing happened to Ryan Neil when he first went to Kimura's. Ryan probably thought he was pretty good at bonsai before he went. And, he probably was! But Kumura had to first show him he didn't know anything, so that Ryan could open his mind to learn from the Master.

The same thing happened with me and Boon. I went there thinking I knew how to wire! Uh, it was rather humiliating for me to have to rewire one branch 3 times before Boon agreed it was "acceptable"!

I'm giving Joe the benefit of the doubt.

Joe, it would be great if you could come to the National Shiw in Rochester next weekend!

Man I sure wish I could make it! Unfortunately my wife has been very ill for the last few weeks and I'm unable to leave her at this point. I am looking forward to seeing the pics though:)

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
LOL! Your tunnel vision and desire to run with the crowd is destroying your ability to see things from both sides for what it really is! First off, as far as destroying relationships goes, well, some people on this forum I don't care to really know at all because of their forceful, disrespectful, and know it all attitudes! No one on this forum has Bonsai on lock down as the only all knowing master of the the Bonsai universe that ever existed! There are many enthusiasts on this planet with great deals of knowledge on this subject. If someone like JudyB comes at me with helpful advice in the respectful way that she does then great, that's how I like to be spoken to. But, there have been many in this thread that were just down right rude, forceful, and disrespectful with their comments and that my little buddy I am not going to tolerate from anyone! They must have mistook me for the new guy that just curls up in a ball and let's everyone kick him when he's down lol, WRONG GUY! As far as apologizing goes, not gonna happen! I didn't throw any of the first punches plus if someone doesn't like me they can just put me on their little "Ignore" list and stay away from me and my threads. I am however looking forward to building relationships here with a few people who do actually know how to communicate with me in a way that I'm cool with. But, on this forum as in life, quality relationships will be few and far between!
Did I say I ran with the crowd? Did I say you had to like apologizing or even think it was the right thing to do? Did I belittle you with terms like little buddy? Again, I call bullshit on your lack of pride. Myself, I have some pride about my endeavors, and it's been said that the number one sin gardeners and artists are guilty of is pride.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Man I sure wish I could make it! Unfortunately my wife has been very ill for the last few weeks and I'm unable to leave her at this point. I am looking forward to seeing the pics though:)
I hope your wife gets better soon. Some things are more important than bonsai.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Did I say I ran with the crowd? Did I say you had to like apologizing or even think it was the right thing to do? Did I belittle you with terms like little buddy? Again, I call bullshit on your lack of pride. Myself, I have some pride about my endeavors, and it's been said that the number one sin gardeners and artists are guilty of is pride.

Dude, just move along man, posts like this don't add any value to anything. Seriously, take a deep breath and just move forward!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I hope your wife gets better soon. Some things are more important than bonsai.

Thanks! Bonsai have actually been a true blessing to us right now. With what little energy she has at the moment she likes to get up, go outside, and mist the tree's and mist her flowers. Hopefully her health problems pass soon...... These are more than just tree's to us, their therapy:)

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Dude, just move along man, posts like this don't add any value to anything. Seriously, take a deep breath and just move forward!
Then why was it of value to state you had no pride in the first place? I haven't taken a side on your trees or your attitude necessarily. I pointed out how it would simply make it easier to swallow your pride and apologize. I never said I thought that was the right thing to do. Only that it was a possibility. I myself have a few enemies on here I'm sure, and it's mostly due to my own pride. For what it's worth otherwise I do hope your wife's health improves and myself understand the healing power of nature.

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks! Bonsai have actually been a true blessing to us right now. With what little energy she has at the moment she likes to get up, go outside, and mist the tree's and mist her flowers. Hopefully her health problems pass soon...... These are more than just tree's to us, their therapy:)
I pray she gets better soon. Would love to see your Hackberry and the maple when it arrives.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is another Nick Lenz creation:

image.jpeg

I'm posting this because I think Joe's tree used to have something like this sitting between the two trunks. And someone in its past history removed the artifact.

I bet if you took the car away from this tree, the trunks would look awkward, just as with Joe's tree.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 117104

I'm posting this because I think Joe's tree used to have something like this sitting between the two trunks. And someone in its past history removed the artifact.

I bet if you took the car away from this tree, the trunks would look awkward, just as with Joe's tree.
I've been looking for photos or that nature. There is something very "off" about the placement of trees in Joe's composition. They are spaced oddly as if to accommodate something like this. Nick is well-known for putting stuff like this into bonsai, from doll heads, to bones, to model tanks and trucks...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A

View attachment 117104

I don't think so

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just read this Article yesterday, I've read it before, as im sure most of you have as well, but when I read it yesterday it was different for me. The content in this thread is ironic to me in many ways and instances with the content of this article. OP has acquired some very nice material, and I think the bottom line here what people are trying to get across is the good old fashion advice of "dont fuck it up". Bonsai is Art, living, constantly changing art. If you buy an expensive painting, it is your right to do with it as you please, show it off, not show it off, or let it burn. I think everyone could benefit from a refresher course in the school of Lentz, and if nothing else, its a good read.
http://bonsaijournal.com/nick-lenz-profile.php

abqjoe, nice trees, you have good taste in bonsai, I look forward to seeing what you do with these. whatever you do, dont fuck it up!

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 117104

Is there a site or article with more pictures of Nick's trees? I've seen the Art of Bonsai ones, but they are a bit older now.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just read this Article yesterday, I've read it before, as im sure most of you have as well, but when I read it yesterday it was different for me. The content in this thread is ironic to me in many ways and instances with the content of this article. OP has acquired some very nice material, and I think the bottom line here what people are trying to get across is the good old fashion advice of "dont fuck it up". Bonsai is Art, living, constantly changing art. If you buy an expensive painting, it is your right to do with it as you please, show it off, not show it off, or let it burn. I think everyone could benefit from a refresher course in the school of Lentz, and if nothing else, its a good read.
http://bonsaijournal.com/nick-lenz-profile.php

abqjoe, nice trees, you have good taste in bonsai, I look forward to seeing what you do with these. whatever you do, dont fuck it up!

Heh, I've read this article many times. I think this is my favorite NL answer from the interview:

"The older I get, the more respect I have for that "cemeterial" passage in Ecclesiastes which states that there is a season for everything…

What I no longer do is rush developing material with my design intentions. Why meddle with something that might not live? Why refine something that is not defined enough for refinement? There will be time for all those things, but not until the plant is ready. The plant always leads. The male ego is the number one plant destroyer.

I also do not mess around with trees in the sun on days resplendent with southern air or at any time during Arctic blizzardry. This may read simplistic, but bonsai is a process, like life. I remember very many bad days of trying to remove this truck or that truck from a snowbank I insisted it could drive through. I willed it. I do not will bonsai any more so much as I think them up. They eventually happen, without spotlights or grand hurras. And I don't waste the time trying to force them."

It all boils down to patience.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score

View attachment 117104

LOL, that is awesome!

Top Bottom