A 16 yr. old progression of a juniper

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to share a 16 yr. old progression of a Juniper. I purchased this tree at the annual Summer auction sponsored by the club I belonged to at the time. I got the tree for $45. I actually liked how tall and slender it was, although it needed to develop and fill out. The variety is unknown and the tree exhibited almost 100% needle-type juvenile foliage at the time. I suspect it is an urban yamadori and not likely a wild collected tree.

It was left to grow unchecked for the next few years in the same training box it originally came with.

The photos below show two different angles of the tree when it was purchased back in July 1996.

TallJuniper1996.jpg

The tree grew quite well and it was styled for the first time in 2000. For the next few years, its basic shape was maintained without doing much else to it. However, as time passed, I became increasingly more and more dissatisfied with its design. I felt that the foliage looked too lush in relation to the relatively thin trunk. The tree lacked character and eventually I became completely bored with it. The photo below shows the tree as it appeared circa 2005.

TallJuniper2005-1.jpg

Since loosing interest, the tree was neglected for a few years afterwards. I still did some occasional pruning and fertilized it but that was it. Because of this neglect, lower branches eventually weakened and died while the top areas continued to grow well. By now the tree had almost 100% mature scale-like foliage. Below is a photo of the tree in 2010. It was a mess!!!

TallJuniper2005-2.jpg

Finally, this past Spring, I decided it was time to take action. I had a clear idea of what this tree wanted to be. In preparation for its new restyling, I repotted it to a smaller round training pot and did some heavy pruning to edit the crown and eliminate all dead branches. I rotated it a few degrees to the left to find a better angle with a little more movement in the trunk. I also angled it significantly forwards since it was originally leaning too much towards the back and away from the viewer. Below is a photo taken a few weeks after it was pruned and repotted.

TallJuniperSPRING2010.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, the tree was finally all wired and styled. The tree is lighter and the foliage pads are now more in proportion with its overall feel. I gave the tree more character and created better and more interesting negative spaces within the composition. I am also thinking about the addition of a small dead trunk at the base. It was temporarily set in place with a bit of wire to give me some time to think about it. I do like it! I am calling it "Mother without son" style :rolleyes:

Its current height is over 40" tall. The tree needs further refinement, and quite possibly further editing as it develops. But for now, I am happy with the path I have set for this tree moving forward. I hope you guys like it! :)

TallJuniperFINAL2012.jpg

BTW I should make a quick mention here that this tree is up for sale. For the past couple of years, I have been simplifying my collection to smaller and more manageable trees. If by chance anyone is interested please PM. Sorry, but this tree is too big to ship. Thank you for looking!!

I think I'd pass on the deadwood at the base. Disproportionate to the tree and steals from what it -- otherwise -- a very nice image.

Not necessarily a primer on how to get there.... but it's a nice image now as well as it was a nice image in 05. Thanks for documenting, I like trees that are not static.

Not necessarily a primer on how to get there.... but it's a nice image now as well as it was a nice image in 05. Thanks for documenting, I like trees that are not static.

Thanks Judy! Yes my intention was not exactly to present a linear story on how to get from point A to Point B, but rather just a documentation of my time with this tree and the changes it has seen hopefully for the best :)

I think I'd pass on the deadwood at the base. Disproportionate to the tree and steals from what it -- otherwise -- a very nice image.

Thanks JKL for your insight! Here is a photo of the tree without the little trunk at the base.

Untitled-1.jpg

Is there something wrong with the way my browser is loading pictures, or are these photos in a negative exposure? By the way it is a great progression with an interesting result.

Something is going on with Safari and Opera browsers (negative images). All is okay with IE, Firefox, and Chrome.

Juniperus Torulosa (hollywood juniper)

I like it very much. With or without the deadwood. Each view has different feels.

Something is going on with Safari and Opera browsers (negative images). All is okay with IE, Firefox, and Chrome.

It is curious that all of the other images on this site seem fine?

It is curious that all of the other images on this site seem fine?

Indeed.

These photos are linked in from Photobucket rather than attached, so my first thought was that it was maybe in the CSS because the CSS file for BNut is trying to do a lot of CSS3 stuff. But I looked at another post with a linked in photo from another 3rd party site and it had no photo display problems in any of the big 5 browsers. I didn't pay any attention to when this other post was made; i.e., it could be a new bug since the BN site was moved to the present servers. :confused:

This is a job for the BNut admin (I sent a PM).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys and positive feedback and insights. Always appreciated! Sorry for the negative images. Not sure what is going on but they are all supposed to be normal pics and nothing crazy like some of you apparently are witnessing. I hope if BNut sorts it all out the pics will appear ok once again. Otherwise I may need to repost?

Thanks to Smoke for the positive ID on this Juniper. I never knew what it was!

Ok not sure why but it seems many of you are seeing negatives of the pics. At any rate, I am reposting all of them in the hopes that they show up they way they're suppose to. I hope this works. Here we go...

Original pics when tree was purchased in July 1996:

Tall Juniper 1996.jpg

Pic of tree circa 2005:

007_7.jpg

In 2010:

IMG_0595.jpg

Tree pruned and repotted Spring 2012:

Tall Juniper SPRING 2010.jpg

Final styling October 2012. The pic below shows the tree with the addition of a small dead trunk at the base:

Tall Juniper FINAL (with dead trunk).jpg

These photos turned out fine. I bet it had something to do with the fact you used HTML code to get the larger in text images? I have a Mac and perhaps the code did not translate properly.

Back
Top Bottom