8th U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition, Rochester, NY, USA, September 9-10, 2023

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
All I can say is that if you have money you can do whatever you want in this hobby. Literally. I'm poor so I'll see myself into the kiddie pool. I'll be the one splashing about gleefully unaware, so wave and say hi if you see me. lol
Dude me too… only reason I’m able to do this is by proximity to my teacher who is cool enough to allow me to study with him on the weekends, sure I save up, had a few lucky opportunities because my teacher , collect or get collected materials .. hell even obtain “hammydown” or overgrown stuff you’re not the only one. Some professionals I’ve met and talk to say that is even more admirable because you’re not taking shortcuts but you gotta be serious about getting better and developing material the right way.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dude me too… only reason I’m able to do this is by proximity to my teacher who is cool enough to allow me to study with him on the weekends, sure I save up, had a few lucky opportunities because my teacher , collect or get collected materials .. hell even obtain “hammydown” or overgrown stuff you’re not the only one. Some professionals I’ve met and talk to say that is even more admirable because you’re not taking shortcuts but you gotta be serious about getting better and developing material the right way.
I'm thankful to have good trees that I have been blessed with the opportunity to buy. I really am thankful, but when I see Bjorn's latest video about how he's going to personally deliver that RAF Scots Pine to its new owner while anyone else who purchased his trees from his tree sale can pick them up themselves left a bad taste in my mouth. Money gets you whatever material possessions you want in this life. I mean if I had the cash for that RAF Scots Pine I would have my own "people" deliver it for me.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm thankful to have good trees that I have been blessed with the opportunity to buy. I really am thankful, but when I see Bjorn's latest video about how he's going to personally deliver that RAF Scots Pine to its new owner while anyone else who purchased his trees from his tree sale can pick them up themselves left a bad taste in my mouth. Money gets you whatever material possessions you want in this life. I mean if I had the cash for that RAF Scots Pine I would have my own "people" deliver it for me.
Isn't that the reality of life? Sad but that how we roll.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wouldn’t look at it that way.. 10/10 times , I’d rather be the guy that develops the tree and puts the effort to know how to care , design, progress etc. than the person that drops the cash to buy it … I’d rather be rich in trees and knowledge than cash.…. we have had these conversations (not you but us Bnuts) for ever. Just my thoughts

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
When we display the concepts to conceptualized containerized environments we want higher quality to propel the art forward , the disproportionate amount of bonsai as this unattainable art for has its nuances and complexities that really add a confusing dimension of Planck constants for thermodynamics that can in turn show the kinetic and magnetic energy of a tree as it moves and shows it’s expression of intention of season, environments , age , and size .. with the additional plane of existence on the molecular level of cone cells in one’s eye the third eye can really unblock how we view bonsai in a way where the student and professional level are blurred out and there becomes a parabolic shift in reality- Ryan Neil .. jk
You totally left out the “narrative arc”.

…just sayin 😂

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When we display the concepts to conceptualized containerized environments we want higher quality to propel the art forward , the disproportionate amount of bonsai as this unattainable art for has its nuances and complexities that really add a confusing dimension of Planck constants for thermodynamics that can in turn show the kinetic and magnetic energy of a tree as it moves and shows it’s expression of intention of season, environments , age , and size .. with the additional plane of existence on the molecular level of cone cells in one’s eye the third eye can really unblock how we view bonsai in a way where the student and professional level are blurred out and there becomes a parabolic shift in reality- Ryan Neil .. jk
I just remembered why I could never make it through one of those podcasts. You have a true gift

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
that guy can also now flip that pine for double the money because it won nationals

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

One subtlety to that video that I noticed. The new RAF Scots pine owner lives near Nashville, so I think Bjorn was mostly just bringing it up and back. Didn't talk to him about it, so I'm just guessing

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One subtlety to that video that I noticed. The new RAF Scots pine owner lives near Nashville, so I think Bjorn was mostly just bringing it up and back. Didn't talk to him about it, so I'm just guessing
Yeah, saw that too.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If someone as prominent as Boon apparently ignores the "no pictures" request, there's no hope it can be enforced.
Its no different than Bill V taking pictures for his blog at Kokufu w/ special permission.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not read through this entire thread but my quick 2 cents:

- The National was so fun and both times I have gone I have gotten a nice boost of inspiration

-I agree that I would rather see alot of bonsai artists in the show and not alot of bonsai collectors, although I can appreciate both. It is just nice to see each person's actual work.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have not read through this entire thread but my quick 2 cents:

- The National was so fun and both times I have gone I have gotten a nice boost of inspiration

-I agree that I would rather see alot of bonsai artists in the show and not alot of bonsai collectors, although I can appreciate both. It is just nice to see each person's actual work.

I told you at the show, but I’ll tell you again. Your trees and displays kicked ass.

Top Bottom