Wilting leaves on laceleaf japanese maple

hotpeon

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Please help!

I repoted a laceleaf maple this march and it came back OK, developing full leaves and looking very healthy. Unfortunately i can't keep it in my appartment so I keep it at my parents and in mid april they noticed the leaves wilting. It seems like the tree was overwatered (even though it is in new bonsai soil mix and potted in perforated pot) so I thought that moving tree in shade and correcting the watering would do the trick. Unfortunately the wilted leaves soon died off but new ones started sprouting but today I noticed, that the new leaves are also wilting... Any advice on what I should do to prevent the tree from dying? There is still green below the bark but I do not see any new sprouts sprouting :(

3.png

1.png 2.png

Hmm.. do you know if it was in windy conditions while new leaves were forming?

Hmm.. do you know if it was in windy conditions while new leaves were forming?
Hello,

Yes, now that you mentioned it, I remember, that there was also snow for a day after few days of heat, that might be it, just very very stressfull for the tree :( I just don't know what to do in order to bring it back, why are the new leaves just wilting like that? I am really hopefull that new buds shoot out but there is no sign of them...

Are those branches turning black? If so, could be bacterial infection.

I ask because I had similar issue with new leaf shrivel. I think they are super sensitive during that time especially after a repot. Not sure what to advise if your tree will make it through. I wish you the best though and hope it starts to move again.

Are those branches turning black? If so, could be bacterial infection.
I cut off some branches today and it doesnt seem like its mould, the branches were dead but the trunk is still green below bark. Not much hope left tho šŸ˜­

I ask because I had similar issue with new leaf shrivel. I think they are super sensitive during that time especially after a repot. Not sure what to advise if your tree will make it through. I wish you the best though and hope it starts to move again.

I kept it inside after repot and it sprouted new leaves just fine, i couldnt keep it out because we had such temperature fluctuations and wind. After it went out it all went downhill it seems, there was a lot of rain, no sun amd snow even. I suspect root rot but i am too afraid to check... Anyway, no new buts are emerging so little hope left. It is in shade, with healthy branches still on and I hope for the best šŸ„²

If itā€™s bacterial or fungal, more sunshine is better. But black branches has always meant the tree will die, in my experience.

When you repotted this tree did you full bare root? Did you cut significant roots? Were you very thorough in chopsticking the new soil in to make certain there were no air pockets? I recently read something that said air pockets kills more trees than you think from repotting. I had to pause to think about my own technique.

Back
Top Bottom