Ligustrum (privet) bonsai wilting leaves

roflas

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

I am relatively new to bonsai, but I am really struggling with my second tree (Ligustrum, Privet). I do have Duranta bonsai that grows really well, but this Privet (Ligustrum) is hard to understand for me.

Right after the purchase, I noticed that it had wilting leaves. I have been growing it for 3 months now and leaves are slowly wilting and falling. I am watering it every second day (but I inspect top layer of soil if it is more or less dry). I use humidity sensor to avoid any kind of surprises and watering is relatively consistent. I fertilize it now every two weeks. It has its own dedicated 20W grow lights. But nothing really helps. Some of the branches have already dried out and dead. On the order hand, it still shoots random leaves somewhere and I have no idea why... I grow it indoors. Any ideas, what to do in order not to lose the tree?

Thank you very much for any help.

Attachments

• 20240506_175647.jpg
    20240506_175647.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240506_175640.jpg
    20240506_175640.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240506_175636.jpg
    20240506_175636.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240506_175626.jpg
    20240506_175626.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240506_175613.jpg
    20240506_175613.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240316_180005.jpg
    20240316_180005.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 21
If you are able get it outside. How long has it been in that soil.

Could be a few things-- First, You should know that moisture meters are notoriously bad for measuring moisture in bonsai soil. They measure electrical activity between soil particles. More water means more activity. Since bonsai soil particles are larger and there is more space between them compared to finer potting mixes. The larger gaps mean electrical activity between particles is less. That can result in meters reading "too dry" erroneously, resulting in overwatering.

Second, the plant looks pretty rootbound, packed roots can have difficulty functioning. If you're submerging the pot in a tub of water at each watering that can be leaving the interior of the root mass soggy. While the outside of the root mass may dry out, the interior can remain soggy and rot roots.

Third, every difficulty is magnified if you're keeping the tree indoors. It should be outside. Indoor conditions are extremely hostile to plants, low humidity, low light, no air circulation.

Could be a few things-- First, You should know that moisture meters are notoriously bad for measuring moisture in bonsai soil. They measure electrical activity between soil particles. More water means more activity. Since bonsai soil particles are larger and there is more space between them compared to finer potting mixes. The larger gaps mean electrical activity between particles is less. That can result in meters reading "too dry" erroneously, resulting in overwatering.

Second, the plant looks pretty rootbound, packed roots can have difficulty functioning. If you're submerging the pot in a tub of water at each watering that can be leaving the interior of the root mass soggy. While the outside of the root mass may dry out, the interior can remain soggy and rot roots.

Third, every difficulty is magnified if you're keeping the tree indoors. It should be outside. Indoor conditions are extremely hostile to plants, low humidity, low light, no air circulation.
Hey, thanks a lot for your response.

I do understand how those meters work. That one I made myself. I do not rely on them significantly. I use them mostly to keep track of how moisture goes away and when I watered it.

I do not submerge it into the water. I just use a shower to soak soil and that is what I always used to. Do you recommend to repot the tree?

Regarding indoors, I try to make it as good as possible. It has its own grow lights that really work well with other plants and other trees. Although humidity here is not the highest, but air circulation is relatively good with very good air circulation. But I do agree absolutely that outdoor is the best environment. I simply cannot do that here and I constantly look for bonsai trees that can thrive indoors.

Appreciate help

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom