First BRT - General advice, Leaves Wilting, Discolored, losing pigment

zezima

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey! This is my first bonsai, I purchased it from a nursery about a month ago. I've been reading up and learning as much as I can about BRTs and bonsai in general.

I'm growing my BRT indoors at a sunny west-facing window as it is my only option since I live in a city. 2 weeks after purchasing and giving the tree time to acclimate to my home I've begun fertilizing with biogold NPK 5.5-6.5-3.5 pellets. It has been doing well and is pushing new growth and has dropped some leaves but nothing significant (I was told to expect all the leaves to drop).

There are however a few leaves of concern, some leaves have wrinkled/wilted slightly but it appears to be isolated to just that. Other leaves are showing brownish dots, also appears to be isolated to just those leaves. I'm not sure if this is a sign of worse to come for my BRT and what I should do right now. Do they indicate pests or too much/little watering, too much/little sun? The past few days have been pretty cloudy and the leaves are also appearing to be less firm than before, drooping slightly.

I am planning to prune the shoots in the summer when the growth has slowed down and hardened a bit.

Any general advice that would be helpful as a bonsai beginner would be appreciated. Especially with regards to some of the discoloration I am seeing.
1681921252144.pngy 1681921267652.png
1681921346897.png

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
It's a beautiful tree. BRT's need a high amount of sunlight and you may want to get a light to use on it since you're trying to grow it indoors. It's difficult enough to grow any bonsai tree indoors but a tropical tree like a BRT is very difficult.

You're committed to doing a good job and I'd get a light and don't be afraid of 'too much' light. These trees are used to a tropical environment.

I can't help you with choosing a light as my trees are outdoors year round but people on BN are extremely savvy about indoor lights.

I would let the tree get accustomed to it's environment before tackling anything extensive. Pruning the obvious branches can wait a bit but it's not a big deal. I wouldn't do that and repot or prune the roots though. I'd wait at least a year before considering that.

zezima

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a beautiful tree. BRT's need a high amount of sunlight and you may want to get a light to use on it since you're trying to grow it indoors. It's difficult enough to grow any bonsai tree indoors but a tropical tree like a BRT is very difficult.

You're committed to doing a good job and I'd get a light and don't be afraid of 'too much' light. These trees are used to a tropical environment.

I can't help you with choosing a light as my trees are outdoors year round but people on BN are extremely savvy about indoor lights.

I would let the tree get accustomed to it's environment before tackling anything extensive. Pruning the obvious branches can wait a bit but it's not a big deal. I wouldn't do that and repot or prune the roots though. I'd wait at least a year before considering that.
Thanks for taking a look. Regarding repotting or root pruning, the nursery I bought it from had just repotted the tree and told me it would be good for at least a couple years before needing to repot again so not worried about that yet. I did buy an indoor grow light early on before I did more research on these forums, I'm not sure if they are suitable. If someone who is knowledgable on lighting could let me know whether they will work or not I would appreciate it - Lights I purchased. Otherwise I'd gladly take suggestions for other lights.

With indoor lighting do I need to worry about messing with the 'cycle' of the tree? If it's getting 10 hours of sunlight and I increase it to 16 hours are there any cons associated with doing that?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hey! This is my first bonsai, I purchased it from a nursery about a month ago. I've been reading up and learning as much as I can about BRTs and bonsai in general.

I'm growing my BRT indoors at a sunny west-facing window as it is my only option since I live in a city. 2 weeks after purchasing and giving the tree time to acclimate to my home I've begun fertilizing with biogold NPK 5.5-6.5-3.5 pellets. It has been doing well and is pushing new growth and has dropped some leaves but nothing significant (I was told to expect all the leaves to drop).

There are however a few leaves of concern, some leaves have wrinkled/wilted slightly but it appears to be isolated to just that. Other leaves are showing brownish dots, also appears to be isolated to just those leaves. I'm not sure if this is a sign of worse to come for my BRT and what I should do right now. Do they indicate pests or too much/little watering, too much/little sun? The past few days have been pretty cloudy and the leaves are also appearing to be less firm than before, drooping slightly.

I am planning to prune the shoots in the summer when the growth has slowed down and hardened a bit.

Any general advice that would be helpful as a bonsai beginner would be appreciated. Especially with regards to some of the discoloration I am seeing.
View attachment 483379y View attachment 483380
View attachment 483381
It looks absolutely OK to me.
Yellowing leaves here and there are a constant when it comes to BRTs, nothing to be fretting about.

Top Bottom