What “bonsaist” will you be uf you ever grow up?

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I like your testimony. I am also in VA (Charlottesville), For me, I left my 13-year career in EMS and went back to school full-time, working as a waterer at Lowe's. I unpacked a delivery of tiny trees we received overnight and pulled out a juniper procumbens, semi-cascade, and fell in love with it. I then found Josh Hoosen (Australia) on YT and began to learn about juniper bonsai. When I hit my 1-year mark in bonsai, my wife also told me 20 trees was a safe round number to manage... now it's 32 after 1 year and 1 month. My inspiration today is Bjorn, Ryan Neil, and Jelle.

Sounds like we are on a similar track!

I weakly justify my gross negligence toward our agreement with many being project trees whose fate is undecided and may be impermanent fixtures. She laughs and shakes her head and says “sure”.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Peter Chan’s YouTube channel was pretty much my entry point into the practice. I don’t even remember now a couple years on how I stumbled by it but it ignited a passion I didn’t even know I had. Now in my third (2.5) really growing season I’ve stretched far beyond the 20 tree agreement my wife smartly recognized would be necessary to even begin to control the spread of the virus around our yard.

Having been exposed to the much wider world of Bonsai now I recognize Peter has his…quirks. But the joy he brings to the practice and his willingness to share his “secrets” were infectious to me and I’ll always have a soft spot for that.

Hard not to admire what Bjorn’s done too. Maybe I’ll try watering my trees shirtless later today 😂
You will not find me watering shirtless. Skeeters!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not worried about it. I feel like I see some folks positioning to be in shows and pursuing it to that end, which is great - I love the shows I’ve been to and want more folks doing them. But I’m just glad to have something to fiddle with and clear my mind. I still want to do it as well as I can, so I’m “serious” about it, but not really with a firm goal other than getting better.

I guess getting judged would help with that but eh. Not really on my radar, nor do I think I have anything really worthy of it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not worried about it. I feel like I see some folks positioning to be in shows and pursuing it to that end, which is great - I love the shows I’ve been to and want more folks doing them. But I’m just glad to have something to fiddle with and clear my mind. I still want to do it as well as I can, so I’m “serious” about it, but not really with a firm goal other than getting better.

I guess getting judged would help with that but eh. Not really on my radar, nor do I think I have anything really worthy of it.
My MO is to fly under the radar. The only place I put lots of pictures of my bonsai is here, not FB nor anywhere else and I am not likely to be at shows.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I mean Kunio Kobayashi with a little Masahiko Kimura thrown in? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I figure if you’re going to emulate somebody you might as well go with the best.

The problem is; I’m never going to grow up so I guess I’m just stuck being me😅

Top Bottom