Ever seen a thread graft from a cross section?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A couple of years ago I did a thread graft on a Trident maple for a back branch. Last year I unfortunately had to chop the top of the tree off right above the branch I'd grafted, and I just so happen to saw right through the original branch.
We all know by common sense that the old branch stays in there but I've never actually seen it before and found it interesting so I thought I'd share!

20240420_171838.jpg

Great pic to help others understand what's happening inside the trunk.
I guess this is the 'in' part of the graft which would presumably make the grafted branch the thick one at 12 o'clock in the photo? It certainly grafted and grew well.

Great pic to help others understand what's happening inside the trunk.
I guess this is the 'in' part of the graft which would presumably make the grafted branch the thick one at 12 o'clock in the photo? It certainly grafted and grew well.
Yup, that's correct! The parent branch would've come in from below in the pic and then the grafted branch is the one on top. Definitely grew well, a little too well that I missed my wiring windows and now it's too straight šŸ˜­šŸ˜‚
That whole tree is going through a redesign since the top died off, I may or may not keep that branch depending on how my graft attempts go this year
20240320_172139.jpg

This was yesterday and then where I envision it if I can get an approach graft for the next section of the trunk20240419_233852.jpg20240419_233907.jpg

Back
Top Bottom