Things we love about bonsai people

The sheer generosity of experience, knowledge, advice, constructive criticism, etc. The comradery, the compassion, the humor, so many things. This forum is my only social media presence and the place I come to get away from it all, relax, learn, laugh. Thanks so much @Bonsai Nut for starting this awesome community.

I have found that bonsai people almost to a person are among the most generous and thoughtful people I've met. They will help you (even with physical labor), give you stuff, and advise you. I've developed some of my longest friendships with people I've met through bonsai. Some I've known for over 20 years now.

I try to pay all this forward, but I'll never match the generosity of spirit and giving I've received over the years.

Shout out to the handful of people on here that "Like" almost everything. Particularly on threads like 'What did you do today'. Encouraging people are really encouraging. Even when it's not my post, it just makes me feel slightly better about things.

Shout out to the handful of people on here that "Like" almost everything. Particularly on threads like 'What did you do today'. Encouraging people are really encouraging. Even when it's not my post, it just makes me feel slightly better about things.
I predict that a bunch of us will "like" this one :D

I love the fact that, based on my experience so far....About 95% of bonsai people are kind, friendly decent folks.
I'm not sure this counts because I find it to be the case everywhere.

Now, that 5% is pretty friggin traumatizing, and that fear can make it feel like they're 20% strong. Add in the dual issues of classism, and then the fact that most people are only comfortable hurting people they know so you have one shot with each new person, then suddenly it feels like only 25% of people are decent.

Yes, I tend to overthink things...

I totally LOVE how bonsai folks are so cool with overthinking little things just for the fun of it.

I'm not sure this counts because I find it to be the case everywhere.

Now, that 5% is pretty friggin traumatizing, and that fear can make it feel like they're 20% strong. Add in the dual issues of classism, and then the fact that most people are only comfortable hurting people they know so you have one shot with each new person, then suddenly it feels like only 25% of people are decent.

Yes, I tend to overthink things...

I totally LOVE how bonsai folks are so cool with overthinking little things just for the fun of it.
We overthink, overdo over everything.
For me, racism is an ever-present issue so everything in BNut is mild to me.

The dedication to maintaining intergenerational trees. Every major bonsai collection, I'll bet, has a cadre of volunteers who are essential for keeping the place going. They give up their time, effort, and sometimes cash to develop and maintain trees they will never own, just for the joy or working with them.

The dedication to maintaining intergenerational trees. Every major bonsai collection, I'll bet, has a cadre of volunteers who are essential for keeping the place going. They give up their time, effort, and sometimes cash to develop and maintain trees they will never own, just for the joy or working with them.
In my years I planted trees everywhere I have lived. Most I never get to see when they matured and/or bear fruits. Every time I see a field, I want to turn it into a forest. Bonsai allows me to touch more trees than I can possibly do in my old age. I think a lot of bonsai people are just like me.

My closest friends are fellow bonsai addicts. I love that we can enjoy sharing the excitement of new leaves an our maples or first buds popping on a yamadori. They are ready to help repot or lift trees too big for one person whenever asked.
As many of us get older, bonsai gives us reasons to plan years in the uncertain future with positive expectations.

Seconding a lot of what has been said. I love bonsai people who share their experiences, good and bad, provide detailed info. Members of this site are the reasons that kept me going early on in my bonsai journey through both their advice and the inspiration their trees brought me.

also, bonsai people who share their secret sources of where to get good trees! :D

I volunteer at a collection and I love being able to apply my skills to amazing trees that I would never be able to afford. I also love being able to talk to the public about bonsai.

Yeah, we can find common ground but definitely NOT common "soil".
Oooh I’ve got a dog training meme for that. Do we need to edit it for bonsai?

Tried to edit it but I’m on my phone. If someone else is feeling creative, or I can try tomorrow.
IMG_1518.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom