Things that drive me crazy about bonsai people

A degree meant a lot more before you could find all the world's information on a screen in front of you.
Not sure I agre. More information .. information has little value. What you can do with the overload of information, weigh ideas and bring them together into something concise feels like the sort of things that you learn during higher education. Domain knowledge is important to some positions, but often the domain changes so fast that the skill to stay up to date and learn new things , to combine, assess and innovate are the real skills you learn.

Not sure I agre. More information .. information has little value. What you can do with the overload of information, weigh ideas and bring them together into something concise feels like the sort of things that you learn during higher education. Domain knowledge is important to some positions, but often the domain changes so fast that the skill to stay up to date and learn new things , to combine, assess and innovate are the real skills you learn.

What I meant was that the information is there if you want to work for it. You don't need to enroll in a college to gain access to it. What you do with it is up to you.

A degree meant a lot more before you could find all the world's information on a screen in front of you.
Sadly I believe the internet has been broken. Maybe it’s the Canadian internet but I cannot get answers and resort to “where did I leave that book!” I once tried to look up “the woman who refused to marry Henry VIII because she had a tiny neck” every result said Anne Boylen. She was his second wife! Of course she married him!

Just yesterday I was wondering why nobody runs plastic edging along where a lawn meets a sidewalk. Is there a reason? Wouldn’t it be easier than edging the sidewalk every year? All I got was ads for companies from as far away as Florida to come & edge my sidewalks. Oh and a ton of Pinterest ideas for edging. No answer to my question. And I broke the AI. I can’t remember what I asked it but it just started spewing code at me. Is that how a computer vomits?

So, sort of related to the recent chain of discussion, but more related to the original topic:
People who demand completely unrealistic things from their trees; and then throw a fit because a Rocky Mountain juniper doesn't grow foliage like a shimpaku; and then get annoyed that others are annoyed that they've gone all Dr. Frankenstein on the poor tree, when really it was them who didn't take time to research the species they just drop $1000 on; and then they act like it's the rest of us who don't know crap because we're questioning it; but really, dude, you spent how much on tree without familiarizing yourself with the species first?🙄

Also, @Mad Tabby, I e come to the conclusion that whoever it was talking and making rules at that community garden never actually put dirt under her nails until the two months of experiential they did in that one class in their third year. Otherwise she'd know there's no one way to grow a garden.
Seriously, forking IS tilling! It literally does the exact same thing, just by other means that work best for certain conditions! What a crackpot!
Maybe just point that the root of the term "horticulture," is "culture," and that she's being racist if she doesn't allow people to grow according to their cultural background.🤦

When yours truly stands on a cascade while extending the watering can to reach a distant tree and causes damage.
View attachment 544325
It has happened more than I care to admit.

Or...when someone starts chopping down my trees "on paper" right after repot.
OMG japonicus. You are making a ridiculous photo right here in the things to hate thread.

Sadly I believe the internet has been broken. Maybe it’s the Canadian internet but I cannot get answers and resort to “where did I leave that book!” I once tried to look up “the woman who refused to marry Henry VIII because she had a tiny neck” every result said Anne Boylen. She was his second wife! Of course she married him!

Just yesterday I was wondering why nobody runs plastic edging along where a lawn meets a sidewalk. Is there a reason? Wouldn’t it be easier than edging the sidewalk every year? All I got was ads for companies from as far away as Florida to come & edge my sidewalks. Oh and a ton of Pinterest ideas for edging. No answer to my question. And I broke the AI. I can’t remember what I asked it but it just started spewing code at me. Is that how a computer vomits?
Mary of Guise.
Because plastic is ugly.

There is a problem with non-experts "challenging" experts by taking nonsense, but there also needs to be room for outsiders to a discipline to offer their perspective. It's a very difficult balance to strike. You should never use your degree as a sword to cut someone down, but, sometimes, it becomes necessary to wield a degree as a shield to defend against stupid people who think they know better than you because they watched a few YouTube videos or read the Wikipedia article on the topic of your expertise. You could spend an hour dismantling everything they just said, or you could respond, "You don't know what you're talking about. Nothing you said makes any sense. I do know what I'm talking about. Here's my degree to prove it." It's tricky to know when that maneuver is warranted.
It's never warranted imho.
If you are an expert of the matter, you should be able to summarize it in a sentence or four. If the opposing party still doesn't understand, you can refer to the essentials, the basics.
In all things else, you can just stop the discussion because it would take too long.. No degree waving needed to do that.
The thing is: you either want to inform people, or you don't. If you do, then take time to do so. If you don't, you can just say that.
"I don't know", "I don't want", or "I see we have a difference in views, let me explain my standpoint" or "It doesn't work like that because you're skipping over X and Y, you could look at that and come back to me if it's still not clear" are answers that we can use at any time. The latter is an expert using their expertise to push another to educate themselves. I try to use that more often nowadays when working with students, and it seems to work.

One of my professors once hit me back with "Just because I have a degree in chemistry, doesn't mean I know about chemistry, so let's have a look at it together."
We schooled each other, as equals. Once we were levelled on the subject, we could easily discuss it.
I mean, it's great that someone spent a whole lot of time on a subject, but if they're taking the role as educator (which is a choice) I believe they should face the consequences of meeting not so bright people who want to get brighter.
If you want to keep knowledge to yourself, the choice to not educate is also pretty easy and perfectly fine to make.

If you are an expert of the matter, you should be able to summarize it in a sentence or four. If the opposing party still doesn't understand, you can refer to the essentials, the basics.
In all things else, you can just stop the discussion because it would take too long.. No degree waving needed to do that.
The thing is: you either want to inform people, or you don't. If you do, then take time to do so. If you don't, you can just say that.
"I don't know", "I don't want", or "I see we have a difference in views, let me explain my standpoint" or "It doesn't work like that because you're skipping over X and Y, you could look at that and come back to me if it's still not clear" are answers that we can use at any time. The latter is an expert using their expertise to push another to educate themselves. I try to use that more often nowadays when working with students, and it seems to work.

One of my professors once hit me back with "Just because I have a degree in chemistry, doesn't mean I know about chemistry, so let's have a look at it together."
We schooled each other, as equals. Once we were levelled on the subject, we could easily discuss it.
I mean, it's great that someone spent a whole lot of time on a subject, but if they're taking the role as educator (which is a choice) I believe they should face the consequences of meeting not so bright people who want to get brighter.
If you want to keep knowledge to yourself, the choice to not educate is also pretty easy and perfectly fine to make.

I think we can expand this out into the realm of general leadership. So many people hold this notion that leadership simply means you get to tell people what to do, order them about. That's only about 20% of leading in my experience.
In the end leadership is the process of recruiting, training, and directing a team toward the accomplishment of a goal. Orders are given, but that's simply a matter of course. Saying that leadership is about being in charge is like calling order-in dinner a delivery company. You kinda missed the point of the whole operation.
Rules and laws are for keeping people pointed in the right direction when direct supervision isn't available. If you want people to follow you have to show them what that looks like; as well as listening, self-discipline, and teamwork; really anything you might expect must be demonstrated to be understood.

I'm glad that works for you in an academic context, but it's not viable in a professional context. Sometimes I have clients who think they know better than I do, and it would cost them a lot of money for me to spend several hours teaching them exactly why they're wrong. I can save them thousands of dollars by saying, "I have a degree and a professional license, and you don't."

I'm glad that works for you in an academic context, but it's not viable in a professional context. Sometimes I have clients who think they know better than I do, and it would cost them a lot of money for me to spend several hours teaching them exactly why they're wrong. I can save them thousands of dollars by saying, "I have a degree and a professional license, and you don't."
I get it, but in the same time it takes to say that you can give the "tip of the iceberg" level explanation. "The market is a little different in this situation;" or, "that works on one scale, but for this we need a different approach," sorts of things.
If that's not good enough for them, "I'd be happy to go into more detail, but it's on the clock," usually acquires more cooperation from argumentative types, but doesn't insult those who are questioning you out of genuine curiosity and desire to understand (it can be hard to tell the difference sometimes).

Back
Top Bottom