The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For my next life, I don't wanna be a beaver!
It is exhausting to cut down trees and haul them off in the mud and in the rain.
Just cut down a bunch of tallow and willow then hauled them off the pond. I am a tired fellow.
On the other hand, I did collect a couple starter size BCs because they were next to larger BCs that I want to thrive.
A good beaver story . My race partner and I are working on sleds . Early spring . When the ground rumbles and shakes . And the kaboom arrives . We look in the direction of his family farm . Several miles away . And see smoke . Back track the story . To his retired farmer father and his buddy next door . Being told at the farm supply store . That there allowed to legally . Purchase dynamite 🧨. Since they are retired . And rent there fields . The 💡 lightbulb . Comes on and they think . If the beavers did not flood the lower sections of there land , they could rent more fields . Back to the kaboom . With no experience best to error on the side of enough to be sure . Philosophy. I can speak from experience how far burning . Logs and stuff flies , and how big a job it is to put out the . Forest fire when . 10 sticks of dynamite 🧨 are jammed under a beaver dam. Add to it 1 family of beavers fixed the mess in 1 week 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂😂😂😂😂

Reaction score
After looking for a couple days I found what looks to me like a good Wisteria to collect. The thing was unbelievably hard to remove. I’m a real beginner, anything I should be aware of when I put this in a nursery pot? I figure most of the bottom half needs to be in soil to get the roots back and because there would otherwise be inverse taper. I’d like to get rid of as most of the bottom as possible but I’m worried already aren’t enough fine roots as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_6247.jpeg
    IMG_6247.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 73

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After looking for a couple days I found what looks to me like a good Wisteria to collect. The thing was unbelievably hard to remove. I’m a real beginner, anything I should be aware of when I put this in a nursery pot? I figure most of the bottom half needs to be in soil to get the roots back and because there would otherwise be inverse taper. I’d like to get rid of as most of the bottom as possible but I’m worried already aren’t enough fine roots as it is.
No idea if any specific treatment for that specific species. But it don’t look like you have much for fine roots . Pot it up in a container large enough for it to fit without cramping it or leaving to much space . It’s very common to make something out of wood . Scrap will do just size it for the tree . Make sure there is lots of drainage . Use big holes and screen . Pot it up most use high amount or completely inorganic . Substrate . Some amount of organic . Is often used fir Dicid compared to conifers . You want a Course airy mix . Burry all the roots deep enough they don’t dry out . Secure the tree . With rope wire whatever just make sure it don’t move in the substrate Water it well . Wait 1/2 hour water again to make sure it’s wet . Then put it in protected area . Out of wind . Shade or light sun . Morning sun best . Then most important wait . Pray if your religious. Do not water until it is slightly dry . This is hard to explain . A stick of dry wood like a tongue depressor . Inserted in the soil is very useful to help determine dry . Most failure is from overwatering . Some use misting systems . And coverings like a green house . Bags . Some use bottom heat . All to help the tree survive and put out roots
and growth . Do not do not do anything style wise or training . Bare minimum 1 year mist times longer . As it recovers and grows you can move it . Into more and more light . Most flowering trees like light . Good luck 🤞 . I like the tree especially the old base . It’s bad ass .

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Do you know if this wisteria has ever bloomed? Many don't ever bloom.
I had one for 20 years that never gave the slightest bit of a bloom.
I've since been cautioned to never buy a wisteria or collect one unless I know it has bloomed. Apparently, cuttings for a blooming one will be OK, but many seedlings will be duds.

Reaction score
Do you know if this wisteria has ever bloomed? Many don't ever bloom.
I had one for 20 years that never gave the slightest bit of a bloom.
I've since been cautioned to never buy a wisteria or collect one unless I know it has bloomed. Apparently, cuttings for a blooming one will be OK, but many seedlings will be duds.
Yes! This thing took over a tree and it’s completely covered in purple blossoms. I cut it back of course so who knows how long it will take to bloom now.

Reaction score
No idea if any specific treatment for that specific species. But it don’t look like you have much for fine roots . Pot it up in a container large enough for it to fit without cramping it or leaving to much space . It’s very common to make something out of wood . Scrap will do just size it for the tree . Make sure there is lots of drainage . Use big holes and screen . Pot it up most use high amount or completely inorganic . Substrate . Some amount of organic . Is often used fir Dicid compared to conifers . You want a Course airy mix . Burry all the roots deep enough they don’t dry out . Secure the tree . With rope wire whatever just make sure it don’t move in the substrate Water it well . Wait 1/2 hour water again to make sure it’s wet . Then put it in protected area . Out of wind . Shade or light sun . Morning sun best . Then most important wait . Pray if your religious. Do not water until it is slightly dry . This is hard to explain . A stick of dry wood like a tongue depressor . Inserted in the soil is very useful to help determine dry . Most failure is from overwatering . Some use misting systems . And coverings like a green house . Bags . Some use bottom heat . All to help the tree survive and put out roots
and growth . Do not do not do anything style wise or training . Bare minimum 1 year mist times longer . As it recovers and grows you can move it . Into more and more light . Most flowering trees like light . Good luck 🤞 . I like the tree especially the old base . It’s bad ass .
Thanks! I’ve got it in a simple bucket from Home Depot with Drilled holes. Should do the trick!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me waiting up to three years for my collected persimmon to either leaf out or wither away seeing Cajunrider's tortured BCs bud out.

View attachment 536075
I don’t know anything about persimmon. But if it has not leafed out in three years . It is most likely dead . 6 months is normally pushing it . Cut the tree thru the bark . If there is no green cambium layer . The tree is firewood . Look at the bright side . You can move on with more room good luck

Goodbrake

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t know anything about persimmon. But if it has not leafed out in three years . It is most likely dead . 6 months is normally pushing it . Cut the tree thru the bark . If there is no green cambium layer . The tree is firewood . Look at the bright side . You can move on with more room good luck
To clarify, I've only read reports of them taking up to three years to really respond after collection. I collected mine in February of this year. It's clearly still alive, there's plenty of color in the bark, but no sign of budding yet, which is not surprising.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To clarify, I've only read reports of them taking up to three years to really respond after collection. I collected mine in February of this year. It's clearly still alive, there's plenty of color in the bark, but no sign of budding yet, which is not surprising.
Join the hard to collect club . Look at the bright side . When your successful you have something rarer . Or at least harder to obtain

Goodbrake

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Join the hard to collect club . Look at the bright side . When your successful you have something rarer . Or at least harder to obtain
Yeah, apparently they really don't like having their roots disturbed. Even after a routine repotting in the spring they apparently may sulk a year. If it makes it I think I'll have something with a lot of potential, but right now my sole concern is survival.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should get it into a deepish temporary container. USE A HEAVY SOIL. You do NOT want a free-draining soil less mix. That will kill it.

Moisture retaining soil is best (but drains a bit). Keep it on the damp to wettish side.. keep the container in the shade and try to get the top into three or four hours of morning sun. Don't let it dry out.

I've collected many wisteria, larger examples in particular. Post collection they want moisture. A regular bonsai mix is too lean and pumice and AK would probably be deadly. Bottom warmth can help, but not direct sun. Mimic the vine's natural habitat--roots shaded by overstory, top in full sun.

Additionally, don't get to attached to the trunk you have. Larger trunks (and even smaller ones) can (and mostly do) get significant die back on them when collected this radically.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
New buds starting to pop out the trunks on some old hawthorn I collected a couple weeks ago
20240325_091952.jpg

Attachments

• 20240325_091830.jpg
    20240325_091830.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240325_091835.jpg
    20240325_091835.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240325_092007.jpg
    20240325_092007.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240325_092028.jpg