Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice blueberry. Where I live and where I grew up . Have found memories of picking wild blueberries . With my aunt and grandmother . Today there a rare find . Some say environmental sone say over harvest . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I have a blueberry bush in my back yard that I planted 3 years ago. It's not all that big but I wonder if it is worthwhile to turn it into a bonsai and take it with me.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let me guess: Hey bud! WTH were you thinking?
Answer: I am gonna do a shohin bottom later but for now I am just gonna thrash the top to see what happens. That tree snakes through a bunch of willows and knows how to fight. It might live and be my Picasso tree. Fully flushed and wired it will be a gnarly tree.
Was thinking sooner or latter . You are going to get away from the norm . BC wise considering the number you have . Glad to see you push the boundaries . 👍👍

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Was thinking sooner or latter . You are going to get away from the norm . BC wise considering the number you have . Glad to see you push the boundaries . 👍👍
I never am content with staying in the norm. My MO is to learn the norm to ensure survival then break the norm using my knowledge to form my vision, whatever that is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
We live and collect in vastly different climates . And different trees for that matter . I’m amazed those dry climate trees don’t have roots going forever looking for moisture . Wonder if nature how they have adapted to survive , congrats I myself am planning on trying the complete root ball approach . This spring on a eastern hemlock . Another tree that can be finicky . Thanks for your info . And congrats I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with that great material
Yeah try to find one contained in a rock pocket… like a kitchen sink. Its rare to find that, but it is the best situation. I guess that’s why I walk past hundreds of trees before I find one that I can collect.
I hope you find that hemlock!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah try to find one contained in a rock pocket… like a kitchen sink. Its rare to find that, but it is the best situation. I guess that’s why I walk past hundreds of trees before I find one that I can collect.
I hope you find that hemlock!
As I said vastly different climates and trees . I have found the hemlock . It’s growing out of . A upturned root ball of a mature tree that fell in a one time beaver swamp . Now dry . What I meant about your technique is after trimming the tree back last year . I plan on disturbing the root ball as little as I can . Essentially I’m going to saw the corner off the upturned root ball and take it all . Therefore disturbing the roots as little as I can . And just pot up the ball

Attachments

• 83D312D8-CC41-4C29-9B92-8FF51A73AF98.png
    83D312D8-CC41-4C29-9B92-8FF51A73AF98.png
    399.4 KB · Views: 35
  • A5CD0BA6-D3FF-47D9-9E0B-CDCE9D10EDF9.png
    A5CD0BA6-D3FF-47D9-9E0B-CDCE9D10EDF9.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 36

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never am content with staying in the norm. My MO is to learn the norm to ensure survival then break the norm using my knowledge to form my vision, whatever that is.
I meant style wise bro . Like the one you just bent . I would be trying for a windswept or even a cascade . With the wealth of material you have . I would have to create something no one else has , just to be different. So I was commenting it’s great to see you moving that way .

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
For my next life, I don't wanna be a beaver!
It is exhausting to cut down trees and haul them off in the mud and in the rain.
Just cut down a bunch of tallow and willow then hauled them off the pond. I am a tired fellow.
On the other hand, I did collect a couple starter size BCs because they were next to larger BCs that I want to thrive.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Only half a day of work today because someone discovered a gas leak. No word on tomorrow yet, but I made use of the afternoon.
Fraxinus anomalus X2.
IMG_20240321_150933_975.jpg
IMG_20240321_150914_719.jpg

Like collecting most things around here, not great root balls, but, man, did I nail the timing. Hoping that's enough.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only half a day of work today because someone discovered a gas leak. No word on tomorrow yet, but I made use of the afternoon.
Fraxinus anomalus X2.
View attachment 535520
View attachment 535521

Like collecting most things around here, not great root balls, but, man, did I nail the timing. Hoping that's enough.
That's one gnarly ash!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's one gnarly ash!
This species usually grow as metre high shrubs, as in epic clumps with MASSIVE turtle shell bases aren't uncommon. (I might know where one such is, actually, if I can spot the same tree twice.) Finding decent single trunks is slightly more rare, though, and digging conditions were about as good as I could've expected today.

Really hoping these pull through. I'm eager to see how the do as bonsai. In stead of the huge pinate compound leaves, these produce smaller foliage of only 3 to 5 leaflets, a bit bigger than the palm of your hand all together. Some varieties out there don't do the compound leaves at all, only singles. Hence the name anomala; they're quite anomalous among ash.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Believe it or not I have worn out my bimetal demolition blades that I use with my recip saw for collection. I know I can sharpen them with diamond files but I am too lazy.
Meet my new weapon.
PS: I chose the 5 tpi demolition blade instead of the 3 tpi pruning blade. The 3 tpi teeth are ideal but the pruning blade is too narrow and not stout enough to be jabbed into the ground and saw through soil and roots.

View attachment 529658
After a few sessions of heavy use here is what I found.
  1. The Milwaukee AX 12" 5 TPI Wrecker blade is stout and can withstand being jabbed into the ground. However, the carbide pieces of the first two teeth broke off. I guess the weld wasn't strong enough to deal with being the jabbing tip. Other than that the saw blade holds up well enough. I still have not used it long enough to make statement on durability. The other drawback that I have is that the teeth tend to fill up when cutting trees with too much sap. If you see smoke/steam coming from the saw blade, be ready for spending a few minutes to clear debris out of the teeth.
  2. The Milwaukee AX 12" 3 TPI pruning blade is too thin to be jabbed into hard ground. It is OK for jabbing into the mud for digging swamp trees. They are great for pruning cuts, but the low teeth count means the blade can grab your bonsai and shake it to pieces if you are not careful. However, if you want to use it to cut down big branches and even trees, this is the blade for you.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After a few sessions of heavy use here is what I found.
  1. The Milwaukee AX 12" 5 TPI Wrecker blade is stout and can withstand being jabbed into the ground. However, the carbide pieces of the first two teeth broke off. I guess the weld wasn't strong enough to deal with being the jabbing tip. Other than that the saw blade holds up well enough. I still have not used it long enough to make statement on durability. The other drawback that I have is that the teeth tend to fill up when cutting trees with too much sap. If you see smoke/steam coming from the saw blade, be ready for spending a few minutes to clear debris out of the teeth.
  2. The Milwaukee AX 12" 3 TPI pruning blade is too thin to be jabbed into hard ground. It is OK for jabbing into the mud for digging swamp trees. They are great for pruning cuts, but the low teeth count means the blade can grab your bonsai and shake it to pieces if you are not careful. However, if you want to use it to cut down big branches and even trees, this is the blade for you.
I'll have to try the Milwaukee AX 12" 5 TPI Wrecker blade, haven't had the best luck with blades I've picked for jamming them into the ground. They do all clog up though I find, seems to be the wet wood of the roots that clog it more than soil.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'll have to try the Milwaukee AX 12" 5 TPI Wrecker blade, haven't had the best luck with blades I've picked for jamming them into the ground. They do all clog up though I find, seems to be the wet wood of the roots that clog it more than soil.
Yep!
It helps if the ground is a little bit wet.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found out another one of my clients does Landscaping, he said they cut down 10 boxwood 2 weeks ago that were at least 40 years old, said thwy took a stump grinder to dig out, which was disappointing, but he said he will let me know next time he gets any material I'd want.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep!
It helps if the ground is a little bit wet.
The wet wood and blades clogging. Is where I suspect the oscillation high speed vibration tool . Will work better for myself . Less blade length . But it’s also a different environment . Where your in the swamp . I’m often trying to extract a tree from a rock crack . I’m confident you will find similar situations. When you move north . Ontario is fairly flat no mountains . 2000 feet above sea is highest point . But Rock mostly granite . Sticks out of the earth everywhere .

Top Bottom