Milwaukee Bonsai Society Burning Bush Yamadori Dig, Hales Corners, Wisconsin, April 6th 2024

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Milwaukee Bonsai Society Burning Bush Yamadori Dig, Hales Corners Wisconsin, April 6th 2024
at Boerner Botanical Gardens
9400 Boerner Dr, Hales Corners, WI 53130
We will start about 11:30am-12pm
9am to about 11:30am is our April club meeting where Steve C. will be giving a demonstration on planting a forest of Dawn Redwoods. Guests welcomed!

After the meeting at about 11:30 we grab our boots, gloves, saws, and shovels, and head out into the woods behind the botanical garden. It's a little bit of a hike from the parking lot so a wagon to haul back your trees may be needed.

We are digging invasive burning bush out of the forest undergrowth with permission from the parks department. Some trees pulled out in past years have been counted at 40+ growth rings!
This is a great opportunity to get a lot of free stock to work on.

Please only dig up burning bush or invasive plants. We will be on hand to help with IDs.
Please dig up a few extra burning bush and leave them on the forest floor for mulch. This will give more space for native plants to gain a foothold in the forest and keeps the parks department from coming through the area with herbicides. .

I will be bringing a hackzall, sawzall, and 6" pruning chainsaw for people to use. I'm not supposed to bring more trees home but... maybe just one or two small ones.
Dress warm! Last year it was 35℉ and raining. This year the forecast is trending around 50℉

This is our 4th year digging and there are still a lot of trees to remove!

Here is an album a member put together from last year so you can see how big some of the burning bush are.
We had about 30 people from The Milwaukee Bonsai Society, Prairie State Bonsai Society, and Midwest Bonsai society.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Milwaukee Bonsai Society Burning Bush Yamadori Dig, Hales Corners Wisconsin, April 6th 2024
at Boerner Botanical Gardens
9400 Boerner Dr, Hales Corners, WI 53130
We will start about 11:30am-12pm
9am to about 11:30am is our April club meeting where Steve C. will be giving a demonstration on planting a forest of Dawn Redwoods. Guests welcomed!

After the meeting at about 11:30 we grab our boots, gloves, saws, and shovels, and head out into the woods behind the botanical garden. It's a little bit of a hike from the parking lot so a wagon to haul back your trees may be needed.

We are digging invasive burning bush out of the forest undergrowth with permission from the parks department. Some trees pulled out in past years have been counted at 40+ growth rings!
This is a great opportunity to get a lot of free stock to work on.

Please only dig up burning bush or invasive plants. We will be on hand to help with IDs.
Please dig up a few extra burning bush and leave them on the forest floor for mulch. This will give more space for native plants to gain a foothold in the forest and keeps the parks department from coming through the area with herbicides. .

I will be bringing a hackzall, sawzall, and 6" pruning chainsaw for people to use. I'm not supposed to bring more trees home but... maybe just one or two small ones.
Dress warm! Last year it was 35℉ and raining. This year the forecast is trending around 50℉

This is our 4th year digging and there are still a lot of trees to remove!

Here is an album a member put together from last year so you can see how big some of the burning bush are.
We had about 30 people from The Milwaukee Bonsai Society, Prairie State Bonsai Society, and Midwest Bonsai society.
Looks like quite a handful some of them... I just checked out your pictures on Google. I just got done digging a 70 yearish burning bush from my parents house. It was pretty big when we moved in 1996 but now they are massive!!! Foot across or more some of them. I'm in the process of getting them removed and it's quite a challenge. They have suckered all over the dam place and I just about broke my back digging this monster!! Iver been picking off the suckers and potting them up for the last 3 years. It's basically potted up in a bathtub heheheheh.. I could probably bath in the pot I have it in. I had one laying around from a tricolor beech I'm developing.

Attachments

• 20240406_140525.mp4
    4.9 MB
Top Bottom