State Forestry Job Opening SW Washington

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Washington State Department of Natural Resources is going to be hiring a new timber cruiser soon. The job has not been posted yet but will be in the coming months.
This position works very closely with trees, so bonsainut seems like a good place to check for interest.

In a nutshell, a cruiser assesses and quantifies trees in a forest (usually a timber sale). This is accomplished by hiking through the woods to sample plots to count, measure, and grade trees.

The position is based out of the Pacific Cascade Region of the WA DNR. Region headquarters are in Castlerock, WA. Fieldwork take place in forested trust lands ranging from Olympia, WA south to Vancouver, WA; west of the Cascade Range.

Work schedule is 4x10 hr days per week or 5x8’s. Flex time is permitted.
90% fieldwork, 10% officework/training.
A work truck is provided. Office duties can be completed from home or in regional offices. The position is union represented and includes retirement and health care.

Cruising/forestry experience is preferred but not required. Minimum education requirement is an associates degree in natural resources. A drivers license is required.

Message me if you’re interested or have questions.

Starting salary is 43,800/yr. More education and experience can bump it up.
Correction…..2 years of experience in forestry can be substituted in lieu of a degree.

The position is not just open to people in SW Washington.
A relocation bonus can be provided to cover moving expenses, etc during transition.
Washington is an awesome place. A lot of dnr employees are not originally from here.

It's a good entry level position for someone.
$43 k for a job that only requires a 2 year degree or experience isn't bad. It's more than we pay our entry level techs with the same experience here, a lot more.

The starting salary is up to 55k. People usually start somewhere in the middle depending on experience. Fresh out of school with no experience would most likely start closer to that 44k.

I agree the salary could be more and we’re working on that. The job may start to include silvicultural and layout duties with an associated bump in pay.

I think the key question is whether you can dig up yamadori during the lunch breaks.
This guy, asking the important questions!

The official answer is yes you can, with a permit or perhaps for research purposes.

But you’d be better off to wait until the end of the work day when you can dig one up and go straight home.

I see you guys are having as hard a time to get applicants as we are over here. Strange times we are living in now.

I see you guys are having as hard a time to get applicants as we are over here. Strange times we are living in now.
Sort of. There’s a lot of movement within the organization so things open up frequently. It’s not so much getting the applicants, it’s keeping them!
Even with a 4 day work week and paid commute people drift…

You know I would love to go to northern Washington to look.
It's the place with the most sightings.
Michigan is just 4th or 5th.
There seems to be sightings all over the state. So either they travel or there’s a bunch of bigfeet.
A guy I know swears by the Olympic peninsula as the place for a sighting..

There seems to be sightings all over the state. So either they travel or there’s a bunch of bigfeet.
A guy I know swears by the Olympic peninsula as the place for a sighting..
If real,there are estimates of at least 2,500 to keep the population alive.
On the Olympic peninsula people accept the fact Bigfoot is real because they or someone they know says they've seen one.

Back
Top Bottom