small beauty

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
A fall shot of the KH shohin, I love how all the hornbeams have their own special fall coloration. My large one screams towards red, but this one is so nice and muted. Hey @Mayank ...
View attachment 337688
I'm really liking the purplish bluish tones. Cream was fine but I think I'm ready for a little change?! Loved your HB #3 btw!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I Think it was a volunteer, it’s been there with the tree, was not very big, but when I repot, I’m careful to keep it.
On my property I have several different types of ferns growing in the woods. I wonder if you restrict their root growth would their stipes reduce as well to balance out?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I Think it was a volunteer, it’s been there with the tree, was not very big, but when I repot, I’m careful to keep it.
It looks a lot like a type of Selaginella that is commonly used in Japanese Kusamono. I've not been able to find it for sale in Europe.

@Pitoon Regarding ferns, seedlings can be kept small by restricting growth (just like bonsai).

Your trees are looking lovely Judy.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks a lot like a type of Selaginella that is commonly used in Japanese Kusamono. I've not been able to find it for sale in Europe.

@Pitoon Regarding ferns, seedlings can be kept small by restricting growth (just like bonsai).

Now i'm thinking to go out back and find some small ones to dig up and see how they respond next year.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for this thread Judy! Great inspiration for shohin size trees. Love what you've done with some of them regarding pot selection. It's clear you deeply enjoy every single tree in your collection!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I was also thinking it was a spike moss, selaginella, rather than a fern but hard to say for sure without a closeup. Not that it matters, pretty either way

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I agree it does look like a type of Selaginella, but not like the kind that I've got as kusamono on it's own. Thanks Tom, I figured you might know. As you are aware, I am a fan of your displays and kusamono!
Thanks for this thread Judy! Great inspiration for shohin size trees. Love what you've done with some of them regarding pot selection. It's clear you deeply enjoy every single tree in your collection!
You are right! I only keep the ones that I truly love now...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@JoeR and @Pitoon I took some close up of the "fern" in the trident pot, and also my known plant of selaginella. While the fronds are very similar the form of the plant is different. The one with the tree, is more fern like in it's arrangement, all the fronds coming out of the same spot and fanning out like a fern. The kusamono plant I have is more cascade and clump like in form. But the same family for sure.
IMG_2982.jpgIMG_2985.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@JoeR and @Pitoon I took some close up of the "fern" in the trident pot, and also my known plant of selaginella. While the fronds are very similar the form of the plant is different. The one with the tree, is more fern like in it's arrangement, all the fronds coming out of the same spot and fanning out like a fern. The kusamono plant I have is more cascade and clump like in form. But the same family for sure.
View attachment 338247View attachment 338248
Yep definitely another spike moss, the one planted with the tree is really nice with the shades of orange/red. Is it like that year round or just in the fall? Thanks for sharing the extra pictures

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yep definitely another spike moss, the one planted with the tree is really nice with the shades of orange/red. Is it like that year round or just in the fall? Thanks for sharing the extra pictures
Just in fall. I've never seen my kusamono one get colors like that. The one with the tree is never as lime green as the kusamono one either. I'll bet @TomB could settle this for us... he knows his accent plants!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here are some shots of a couple small pretty trees. Deshojo and dwarf apple. It's cold outside so nice to bring some happiness into the room... The apple is new to me, it's a true dwarf apple, not a crabapple. Looks like fun to me.
View attachment 182661View attachment 182662View attachment 182663View attachment 182664View attachment 182666View attachment 182667
Love the Apple tree! That trunk movement is great...

Top Bottom