Show us bugs on tree’s

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Noticed some unhappy and crumpled leaves on my hawthorne. Under further observation, I found this little guy. He has been kindly asked to remove himself from the premises (thrown off my rooftop garden). Anything I should do to prevent further damage or infestation?
IMG_2028.jpeg

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Noticed some unhappy and crumpled leaves on my hawthorne. Under further observation, I found this little guy. He has been kindly asked to remove himself from the premises (thrown off my rooftop garden). Anything I should do to prevent further damage or infestation?
View attachment 542559
Sometimes I find undesirables in the moss keeping warm and hidden.
Get some praymantis and ladybirds ✌️

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, I plan to do a surface cleaning on this tree this summer, as I’ve never liked the way the previous owner top dresses. Definitely hope to get some friendly bugs in my garden, but I worry they’d struggle on my rooftop with a lack of resources. Definitely when I move and get a backyard.

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I plan to do a surface cleaning on this tree this summer, as I’ve never liked the way the previous owner top dresses. Definitely hope to get some friendly bugs in my garden, but I worry they’d struggle on my rooftop with a lack of resources. Definitely when I move and get a backyard.
Most of them have wings and can relocate if needed. 🙂

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
Snatched the image off the internet, I guess I deleted my photos, but Box Elder Bug. Don’t remember ever seeing them before, but they took over Southern Alberta last fall. They’re supposed to be mostly harmless, but annoying, and stinky if you squish them. Also found out the hard way they really like bright colors. Went outside in a bright salmon t-shirt and was covered!
IMG_3558.jpeg

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Snatched the image off the internet, I guess I deleted my photos, but Box Elder Bug. Don’t remember ever seeing them before, but they took over Southern Alberta last fall. They’re supposed to be mostly harmless, but annoying, and stinky if you squish them. Also found out the hard way they really like bright colors. Went outside in a bright salmon t-shirt and was covered!
View attachment 543706
Reminds me of the Batmobile
Screenshot_20240502_072718.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 543706
I have box elder bugs around my house, worst part about them for me is when the fall cold sets in and the try and get into the house, garage, shed, or any place warm. Same with stink bugs and Asian beetles. :)

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
I have box elder bugs around my house, worst part about them for me is when the fall cold sets in and the try and get into the house, garage, shed, or any place warm. Same with stink bugs and Asian beetles. :)
Yep seems my neighbour got infested. Her cat is having a ball. And she wonders why I sprayed the whole house with dish soap.

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw this spider munching on some small winged insect yesterday - checking today I see it ‘tending’ to these two small ‘masses’.

I’m glad I was paying attention! I see little ‘sugar’ ants tending to them as well.
IMG_2385.jpegIMG_2391.jpegIMG_2391.jpeg
Fortunately I caught it early and hand removed the scale since there were only about a half +\- dozen.

I’m tempted to just check regularly - but I have used systemic in the past, and I’m also considering being proactive and applying some, just in case…

Top Bottom