Show us bugs on tree’s

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thought it would be interesting and insightful to have a thread of interesting or not interesting bugs you find on your bonsai or tree’s you see in the wild. Harmful or not harmful to the tree’s.

Saw this what I’m almost 100% sure is an imperial moth caterpillar on a Bald Cypress that I collect cones from. Freaked me out because I almost walked directly into it.

C984DB16-EB84-47F1-AE52-21832C64290C.jpeg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's not exactly a bug, but I have this nice picture of the spider that protects my red maple from pests.
20230616_124855.jpg
I've also got one or two in both of my junipers. The one in my procumbens is a really beautiful brown spider who likes to hide in crotches.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's not exactly a bug, but I have this nice picture of the spider that protects my red maple from pests.
View attachment 494915
I've also got one or two in both of my junipers. The one in my procumbens is a really beautiful brown spider who likes to hide in crotches.
Yikes!
I hate anything that likes to hide in crotches.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Still unknown to me critter on my Azalea. Anyone know? Was dozens of them hiding under branches. 1/8 inch
Looks the same to me.

Booklice usually feed on molds, fungi, grains, insect fragments, and other starchy material, including glue from bookbindings.

1687358962383.png

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And here I am, opted for the base model iPhone so I can’t really take macro photos so well
Other day there was some kind of weird jumping spider of sorts on my ginkgo

This is as close as I could get
View attachment 495038
I love seeing spiders on my trees. I always feel bad disturbing them if I'm doing significant work to a tree.

Top Bottom